Bike advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newtonnovice

Hi there, I am after a ladies hybrid bike after umming and ahhing over the Cannondale Quick 4 (£529) which really caught my eye, I have decided on lock-out forks as I don't think my old wrists could cope without suspension - so this one is out now but I dont know where to start and what would be a good buy. Trouble is I want a light-weight bike around this price bracket, am I asking too much. Must have 700 wheels and flick shift gears, thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Specialized Ariel? Giant Rove?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Rove-2-Womens-2013---Hybrid-Sports-Bike_56310.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized...Thru-Womens-2013-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_55303.htm

The problem is that the forks add quite a lot of weight and make the ride bumpy. The disc brakes on the Spesh will help it stop faster but again add some weight

Carbon forks will also go a long way to help your arms, abosrbing bumps and road buzz. So perhaps look for a rigid forked bike with carbon up front?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think the Giant Rove (ladies version of the Roam) has all those things on the higher models for similar price to the Cannondale, 700c, lockout forks, trigger(?) shifters and the female version of Specialized Crosstrail, which I think is the Ariel.

Suspension forks are always described negatively as very heavy on here, but if you look at buying them alone they only weigh something like 2kg, so I'm not convinced they make that much difference if you aren't a competitive cyclist. Some nice grips and decent gel gloves go quite some way to stop vibration and wrist pain though too.

Edit: Deja vu? I think me and Vickster have posted these same answers before :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
:whistle:

I had a Crosstrail and then a Sirrus and the CT was certainly heavier - was probably more comfortable on rubbish roads however due to the forks and fatter tyres (45mm vs 28mm)

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
:whistle:

I had a Crosstrail and then a Sirrus and the CT was certainly heavier - was probably more comfortable on rubbish roads however due to the forks and fatter tyres (45mm vs 28mm)
Yeah, I'm kinda playing devils advocate for suspension forks because they aren't very popular on here and I like mine. I guess the difference could be more dramatic for lighter riders ;) but on some awful canal paths and most of the trails I ride I'm really thankful of my bouncy forks :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I am most certainly not light lol! Even with my dodgy elbow and utterly atrocious roads, I've been ok with carbon forks

Top Bottom