Bike Butchers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grumpyoldman

Hi can I canvass other for opinions please.
I have noticed an increasing number of retailers on ebay who seem to be buying classic bikes, breaking them up and then selling the component parts on separately.
I appreciate that the bikes are their property and as such they can do with them as they wish, however I find the idea of cannibalising a classic bike for profit irksome. Clearly it provides a source of parts for other restorations but since most of us spend time trying to locate parts to restore bikes or frames we have purchased it seems odd that the vendors are scattering and breaking up bikes while the aficionados spend much time & money doing the reverse.
I recently declined two frames which were of interest to me when I saw the rest of the bike for sale in bits on their online shop.
Comments welcome please.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I just got a frame for pretty much free and I'm grateful, I have many of the parts needed. The owner had indeed removed the groupset, wheels etc and sold them on.

I guess its a mindset - buy a frame for 100-200, then build it up over time with parts from all over, as opposed to having to spend more on a full bike and not really having any guarantees that the parts aren't past their sell by date.

It is a shame to see them split, butchery as you say, but if it means a frame is given a new lease of life then I don't have an issue.

I'm afraid I agree with you @Grumpyoldman, I've said it before: it depresses me to see all the orphan frames on ebay. We've all bought a bike to use for parts, and if a bike is worth more as parts than complete then someone's gonna make a business from it. Realistically I know there wouldn't be so many parts for me to use if someone didn't do it.
Doesn't mean I have to like it though :sad:

gareth01244

Veteran
I recently sold a Peugeot Road bike to someone who told me that the bike was for his daughter, we had a long conversation about her appreciation of vintage bikes etc. The next day it was on eBay as parts, he would have doubled his money if they all sold. I felt really sad that a bike that was so original and that had lasted so long in one piece ended up as a job lot of parts.
I realise that there is little sentiment available when there is money to be made but non the less I felt a little bit deflated

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I recently sold a Peugeot Road bike to someone who told me that the bike was for his daughter, we had a long conversation about her appreciation of vintage bikes etc. The next day it was on eBay as parts, he would have doubled his money if they all sold. I felt really sad that a bike that was so original and that had lasted so long in one piece ended up as a job lot of parts.
I realise that there is little sentiment available when there is money to be made but non the less I felt a little bit deflated

yeah i have had the same thing happen a couple of times , it made me wish i kept the machines

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle

that stinks

PHL67

Veteran
Hi can I canvass other for opinions please.
I have noticed an increasing number of retailers on ebay who seem to be buying classic bikes, breaking them up and then selling the component parts on separately.
I appreciate that the bikes are their property and as such they can do with them as they wish, however I find the idea of cannibalising a classic bike for profit irksome. Clearly it provides a source of parts for other restorations but since most of us spend time trying to locate parts to restore bikes or frames we have purchased it seems odd that the vendors are scattering and breaking up bikes while the aficionados spend much time & money doing the reverse.
I recently declined two frames which were of interest to me when I saw the rest of the bike for sale in bits on their online shop.
Comments welcome please.
I fully appreciate what you are saying as will others but you need to also look at the possibility that the whole bike may well have been for sale prior but did not sell so option was to dismantle and then supply original vintage parts so people like us can complete our bikes with period parts not cheap replacements as some do. Personally i sell parts also but clean them up and put time into them to make them presentable to prospective buyers. I also sell some bikes especially when my wife says I have to many. I reply you can never have to many. Thanks.

Top Bottom