Bike buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lewis1987

Really enjoying my time cycling while on lock down so looking to buy a road bike when we can all get back out doors

I have a budget of £1300 but struggling with all the different specs like rim brakes vs mechanical disc vs hydraulics

Carbon vs aluminium

Seems at this budget range you can get a good frame with not so good spec or aluminium frame good spec

What is a good bike for this price range want to be doing longer rides

13 rider

Guru
Brake wise in my opinion hydraulic disc are far the best but the most expensive , mechanical disc are more difficult to set up . Rim brakes will be the cheapest but are perfectly usable as we have been riding on them for years . The braking difference is only really noticeable in the wet so if you don't intend to ride in bad weather rim brakes will be fine .
Frame wise at that price range I'd probably go for an aluminium frame rather than carbon as you will probably get bet components on the bike
I am a big fan of giant bikes so would recommend a giant contend . Giant ,Trek and specialized all offer a lifetime frame warrentry which is something to consider . It's is always better to test ride if you can which obviously be difficult at this time

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
There is a huge amount of choice at your budget and there will be no lemons. I’d recommend disc brakes for better all round all weather stopping. I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss aluminium frames as “not so good”. The difference between it and carbon are less than you might think:

View: https://youtu.be/h3RG5dztrXM

There are other frame materials too, like steel, which I and many others prefer.
I should read a few reviews and get down to a retailer and throw a leg over a few you might fancy. Once you’ve narrowed it down a bit post again for opinions.
Good luck,

Really enjoying my time cycling while on lock down so looking to buy a road bike when we can all get back out doors

I have a budget of £1300 but struggling with all the different specs like rim brakes vs mechanical disc vs hydraulics

Carbon vs aluminium

Seems at this budget range you can get a good frame with not so good spec or aluminium frame good spec

What is a good bike for this price range want to be doing longer rides
I would go carbon and light, disc brakes a deal breaker?
FELT_FR4-Road-Bike-black-BIC001.jpg

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-fr4-r...MI_-bWs7HP6AIVUsreCh25_AlgEAkYAiABEgJUNvD_BwE

13 rider

Guru
For the money that's a great bike Nice specs Shimano 105 is a superb drivetrain . Equipped with hydraulic brakes .
I bought a new bike last year and Ribble was on my list but as they only offer a 3 year frame warrentry I went for a giant . You will struggle to beat Ribble for straight out value for money and it's a British company

OP
OP
L

Lewis1987

Top Bottom