Bike buying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there. I'm looking to get a bike through the cycle to work scheme and have decided that a hybrid with accessories (pannier rack, etc) would be best for my needs. I've always been into cycling, albeit it recreationally and for commuting but I love it. I had a very bad ski accident away back in January and I am now ready to get a new bike (having given my bike away to my cousin).
I've been to some bike shops and have narrowed down to two bikes:
Trek 7.3 FX- I had a trek years ago and was really impressed with it or a Specialized Sirrus Sport.
I'm not sure which one I should go for; they both look very nice and ideal for what I want to use them for.
The other problem which I need advice on is sizing - I'm roughly 5'6 (168cm).
The bike shop I went to about the Specialized has said that a small frame would be ideal.
Two different bike shops have given me different size frames for the Trek bike - one shop said 15" and another shop said 17.5".
Thanks in advance for all your help.

I have narrowed my choices down to two bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport or a Trek 7.3 FX.
J

vickster

Legendary Member
5'6 (assuming male?), a small or medium frame depending on your dimensions. A 15" Trek sounds small for your height?

Go test ride and see which feels right, you should know pretty quickly. A bike that is too big is not good, a bike that is a little small can be made a little bigger usually

On brand alone I'd choose the the Trek fwiw but then I don't like Specialized and nor would I be riding it! Only you can choose which is the one (they are both good and similar bikes ultimately). A carbon fork helps with comfort on rough roads, but expect that's out of budget?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi and welcome!
From your user name I gather you're in Glasgow?
Try this shop, they were extremely helpful to me. They mainly stock Merida, but you might change your mind on your shortlist once you see one, I wanted a Specialized originally ^_^
Sit on a few for size, gearing, pedals, handlebar grips can easily be changed, the shop can also add mudguards and a rack for commuting.

Top Bottom