Bike Carrier Madness???????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay I really have to start with the fact that Im a total novice when it comes to biking, cycling and such.
I got my very first bike for my 40th birthday in March and have been out with my friend every weekend and we absolutely love it!
We arnt serious bikers covering loads of miles on the roads or anything bikey like that we just stay on the cycle paths and enjoy being outdoors in the lovely weather.
ANYHOO, this is my dilemma, I was using a rear mounted 3 bike carrier on my Ford fiesta but last week most of the straps split resulting in the bikes hugging my car and scratching the paintwork(aagh).
Obviously I cant use this anymore and am currently looking round for:
A. a tow bar carrier for 2 bikes.
B. a carrier that we can transfer to both cars (my friend has a Clio) so we arnt just taking my car every week.

Ive been reading loads about carriers etc till my eyes are spinning in my head and now I havnt a clue.
Ive looked at my tow bar which is like a metal loop, am I right in thinking that this pulls out and I will have to replace it with a seperate purchased tow bar?

I told you I was a COMPLETE novice but I so want to get out on my bike again.

If anyone can understand what ive written and can answer I would be eternally grateful, thanks loads.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hi

No, the loop you describe is simply an emergency towing eye.... you will have to have a proper towbar fitted.

What sort of car is it?

If you do opt for towbar mounted the Thule ride on style are awesome for the money. (not much money at Halfords), and if you can afford the extra towbar expense are my favourites.

If you opt for hatch style then Saris Bones review very well and really, (and I mean REALLY) look the dog's.

Otherwise you can go roof mounted- I personally am not a fan 'cos I drive a Disco, but plenty on here will advise, I'm sure

Thule tends to be a trusted name in this sort of thing.

Top Bottom