Bike courses...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

Hi, I'd like to learn more about the mechanics of bikes ect..., basically the know how, so I'm wondering if going on a course would be worth it, and if there are any specific good courses.

I'd also like to try getting a part time job at a bike store in the near future and wondering if going on a course would help me in this..

Thanks.

I post this link every time a thread like this comes up! :biggrin:

http://www.bike-inn.co.uk/training_courses.asp

I have no financial interest in it, but I did the 2-week C&G course and would recommend it to anyone interested in becoming competent in cycle repairs or wanting to work in a bike shop.

It is expensive, but it's money that could be recouped very quickly by doing your own/others' repairs.

OP
OP
aJohnson

aJohnson

Ok ty very much. I'd probably go with the Edinburgh bike co-op one as I'm a student and cant afford the other expensive one. I don't know if I'd like to work in a shop full time I was just thinking about it for a part time job.

gavintc

Guru
I did the EBC one day course and found it excellent. It has given me much more confidence to fiddle around with things, than I would have expected for such a short course. I even managed to build a bike up from the frame using the knowledge I learnt.

knonist

anything in cambridge?
I just want to learn some repair skills so dont have to visit LBS so often.

OP
OP
aJohnson

aJohnson

Just curious, if I was to apply for a part time job what would I be expected to know?

And is there a book that goes into the details of bike mechanics.

BigonaBianchi said:
that looks fun..only expensive at £1000 plus accomodation for 2 weeks...hmmm...

It was great fun! I stayed in one of the two caravans on site for a tenner a night (to cover gas heating/cooking).

Plenty of action and things to get stuck into.

Alf's a top bloke and took us into town for beer at the end of the day!

B&B is available in pubs in Spalding - about 5 miles from the school.

Top Bottom