Bike for a 9 year old boy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Thanks for all the suggetions. In the end, he/we choose a Gaint stp 250 Which seems good, and more importantly he likes it so uses it more ;)

I like the sound of Islabikes, look well built. But unfortunatly the styling wasn't to my son's liking. So that had to be crossed off.

Decathlon- Bikes, sound like a bargin. I can't believe they can be making any money selling bikes at that price. But no stores around here, so had to give that a miss.

Spesh hotrock - had a look at the hotrock triple, but he wasn;t overly keen on it in real life. So thats that.

Trek 220 - still like this, but it lost out as it doesn't have water bottle butts and he wanted a water bottle!

bonj2

Arch said:
Who said anyone was making any kid do anything? Plenty of kids want proper road bikes with drop bars. Just because you couldn't get on with them, doesn't mean everyone has to be the same.

Hmmm... I'm sceptical. Seems a bit funny that there's loads of posts from parents like "what road bike should I get for my kid" but none from kids saying "what road bike should I ask my dad to get me"

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj;35016][quote name= said:
Who said anyone was making any kid do anything? Plenty of kids want proper road bikes with drop bars. Just because you couldn't get on with them, doesn't mean everyone has to be the same.

Hmmm... I'm sceptical. Seems a bit funny that there's loads of posts from parents like "what road bike should I get for my kid" but none from kids saying "what road bike should I ask my dad to get me"[/QUOTE]

How many kids do you think hang about on here then bonj? Have you ever seen a child asking advice on anything on here, or over on C+?

bonj2

Arch said:
How many kids do you think hang about on here then bonj? Have you ever seen a child asking advice on anything on here, or over on C+?

Exactly! It's a roadie forum, and there's no kids on it. What does that tell you about what sort of bikes kids want?

There used to be plenty of kids asking for advice on mbuk...

I always take these posts and threads at face value.

If a poster asks for advice - one assumes that they have knowledge and have worked things up to that point.

If the posts asks about road bikes then it is reasonable to assume that that is what the joint decision is.

After all any fule kno that responsible parents would buy their child a recumbent trike kmxkarts as they are more stable, hence resulting in fewer injuries, more fun and certainly more posturally sound.

And what's even more important - no drop handlebars.

a deviation slightly on the subject a few months ago when i paid a visit to sideways cycles in cheshire tim the owner was building up a new bike for his daughter who i think is about 7...the spec was as follows
spot frame
chris king headset
hand built wheels around phil wood hubs
and various other bits of bike jewellery
i wish i had a dad like that when i was a kid! lucky girl eh!

bonj2

Cunobelin said:
I always take these posts and threads at face value.

If a poster asks for advice - one assumes that they have knowledge and have worked things up to that point.

If the posts asks about road bikes then it is reasonable to assume that that is what the joint decision is.

this is true in fact, i'm a great believer in that motives shouldn't be questionned, whatever the question.
I was however just passing comment generally, maybe I should have prefixed it with 'OT'. It was my general preconception that kids generally preferred mountain bikes, because they like riding round the park and up kerbs and what not, rather than covering distances. But if they do genuinely want a road bike, be it because their parents have got one or what, then get them one.

Even more reason for a KMX

Top Bottom