Bike for a big lad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickthebrick

Hi all
I am looking to buy a new road bike and am stumped by the amount of chioce out there.
I currently ride an old Raliegh which has been great, but feel I am ready to step up a bit.
Whilst not fat, I am quite heavily built, about 17 stone, so the bike needs to be fairly robust. I ride to and back from work a journey of about 35miles with some decent hills, and enjoy some social cycling which I would like to increase.

I really am clueless as to what to buy and am thinking in the £600 to £750 bracket

Any guidence or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

FetterSteve

Second hand Giant Defy!

I'm 19 stone and had no problems with mine but make sure you get the right size ( unlike me!)

diapason

Ebay seems to be awash with large framed bikes at the moment. Something like a Dawes Galaxy would be excellent. I think there's even a Surly Long Haul Trucker available. Good luck!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm a 24 stone rider and I only buy bikes with a minimum of 32 spokes in each wheel.

Dawes Galaxy bikes are robust and surprisingly versatile. I used one for two Land's End to John O'Groats rides, 60+ 100km Audax rides and a channel to the med ride.

I also have a Ridgeback hybrid which performs faultlessly.

Have a look at the Decathlon range the Triban 5 looks great value for money at £500.

I have a Decathlon Touring bike, no longer in production, that was incredibly well specced for its price. Decathlon are underated and often overlooked. Check them out if you can. Their customer service is exemplary and should be used as a bench mark by other cycle retail chains.

Tynan

Veteran
I dn;t hink 17st is too heavy for a normal bike

I'm 15st and half these days but a tad over 17st when i staretd riding again, I did find a handbuilt rear wheel worked out well and now I have a 36spoke handbuilt wheel no probs whatsoever, handbuilt isn't that much more than factory

for that price the spesh allez is your man surely

waggoner

My Cannondale synapse is ok for up to 19 stone according to the manual.

Top Bottom