Bike for a larger adult

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cireland

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help.

I am looking for a bike, but not just any bike it needs to be a bike that is suitable for a heavier load, probably around 400 or just under pounds. And I am 6ft.

I used to Cycle a lot when I was younger and I want to pick it back up, going to the gym and sitting on a cycle bike there for an hour just does not do it for me…

I am finding it hard to find information in the UK on bikes for larger people, seems to be endless options in the USA but over here I am struggling, does anyone have any advice on what to look for or perhaps actual bikes in mind?

Your help is appreciated

Thanks

Cireland

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @cireland

Most bikes will take more weight than you think. Have a look at this site http://39stonecyclist.com/am-i-too-heavy-for-a-bike/ for more of an insight. The author is a member on here.

Basically, what you need to be looking for in your bike is wheels that have a high spoke count (32 or 36 spokes). You shouldn't have a problem with frames as long as they are the appropriate size for you.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Please do not take any of my comments as personal or judgemental...

I think that to be quite honest as long as you don't go for carbon fibre or lightweight, and go for a sturdy steel utility type bike then you should be fine.

There are some bikes rated for heavier weights, if you feel more comfortable, The Surly Long Haul Trucker for instance is rated at 300 lbs

Others recommend a "Dutch Bike" as these are designed more robustly built (edited) and the upright position allows more "belly room" and puts less pressure on the wrists and arms

What may be a compromise is your mobility, and agility, the strongest frames have a crossbar, but if you lack the ability to "cock your leg" over the saddle then a step-through would be better.

Equally a bike with a wider saddle may be more comfortable.

You may also want to consider upgrading the wheels (rear especially) to a tandem specification, and using wider tyres to spread the weight making the ride more comfortable, although others will say that the normal wheels well built and properly tensioned will be adequate. There is also some controversy over whether a 26" wheel would be better

Finally of course the downside is cost.

Are you in employment?

I realise that at the start of this you will not be riding miles and commuting, but as an incentive, a better bike subsidised by one of the Cycle to Work schemes, could be a target.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello. Welcome to the forum from powys. Well done for wanting to get back on a bike. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mmm, 28 stone is a fair weight for a bike, but as others have said a sturdy frame and plenty of spokes in the wheels should do it.

The more you pay, the better quality bike you will get, and better quality - to some degree - will mean stronger.

I have a Rose trekking ebike and it is built like a tank.

Plenty of non-powered options, of which this is one:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-black-creek-3-trekking-unisex-sport-2014/aid:687171

Cube is another make you could look at.

The Rose has the rather nifty Speedlifter, which means you can bring the handlebars higher using a quick release, like a seatpost.

You will probably find having the bars a bit higher than the saddle is more comfortable.

Spokes breaking will be your most likely problem.

You can look after them a little by not bumping off kerbs and avoiding potholes when you can.

If you do need to go over a bump, 'unweight' the bike by standing on the pedals.

Balloon tyres - ones with plenty of depth in the sidewall and 2" or so wide - will also help.

That Rose doesn't have them, but there will be others that do.

Top Bottom