Bike for a newbie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

herriotfan

Hi
Please can you recommend a bike for both road and off-road for a lady to take up cycling again after 30 odd years?
My son is treating me for my 54th birthday so it needs to be reasonably priced but not so cheap that it will fall to bits as soon as I mount it!!
Also are there any retailers that you would recommend in the East Anglia region?
Thanks in advance.. :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
The Halfords Carrera Subway models have a good rep - they won't take you off road but will be fine for towpaths and park paths etc

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_551239_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_551237_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

I wouldn't bother with front suspension as it just adds weight unless toy are going to go properly off road

OP
OP
H

herriotfan

Thanks for your reply.
I should have said I'm only 5'2" so I need a small 14"-15" frame apparently.......unless you know/would advice differently!

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds right, do they have smaller ones?

Is there a budget? Evans own Pinnacle brand aren't bad but they don't have much in East Anglia. Wiggle online offer 30 day test rides

This retailer is in East Anglia, seems quite popular for mail order with folks on here

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/

OP
OP
H

herriotfan

Thanks vicster.
I read the topic that's been done as a sticky on the 'what bike' question and I'm going to have a chat with our local bike shop. I have a rough idea of what I want but I wanted to see what advice I'd get on the forum first. With your help and going through lots of posts, mostly old and stickies, I think my gut instinct to go to the local guy is correct!
Regarding budget....it's a birthday present so I have no idea but hubby tells me he will make up the difference if needs be, bless him. Not millionaires so it won't be in the thousands, hundreds at the most!
Do you mind if I ask are you at Sutton in the fens, where Cheffins have their big sales?

OP
OP
H

herriotfan

Ah, ok. Sorry this seems to be turning into 'chat' and the admins won't like that I expect!
Thanks for you help and friendliness.
:thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
No worries, your local bike shop will be the best bet. For around £300, you should be able to get a reasonable hybrid. Just go for rigid forks and seatpost.

I think you'll find most models from most makes are much of a muchness at the same price point, be it Giant, Marin, Trek, Ridgeback, Specialized. Carrera from Halfords are decent but avoid Trax and Apollo.

At 5'2, you'll need a ladies bike, so you won't need to change saddles and what not - ask them to let you have a test ride too. Budget for a few accessories like a helmet (mixed views on these, personally I won't ride without), a decent D-Lock (Kryptonite are decent), some mitts (of course you won't fall off but if you do they are invaluable).

I'd also get some padded shorts, you can stick these under some M&S cropped cargos or whatever, and some sort of seatpack / handlebar bag to stick a few bits and bobs in. Lights if going to ride in the dark and a high viz gilet/jacket if going to be out in traffic!

Enjoy - I came back to cycling about 4 years ago and love it :thumbsup: I go out almost every day weather permitting, commute to work. Just gone mad and got a road bike, the upgrade bug grabs hold and is hard to resist :laugh:

Top Bottom