Bike for Commuting, £300-400 budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All, just after a bit of advice and recommendations.

About a year ago I swapped a falling-apart, second-hand MTB that I'd been using for a couple of years to commute roughly 2.5 miles to work 2/3 times a week, for a hybrid. A Specialized Sirrus (2011 Elite, I think) to be precise. My thinking was that I was mostly commuting, but would like to maybe do a bit of road use at weekends. However, I've found realised that:
  • A very small portion of my commute is on roads, and the rest is on cycle paths on pavements. I never have to worry about weaving through traffic.
  • This means I'm up and down the edges of pavements (most not properly dropped down), across potholes and paving stones that feel like the backend of the bike is sliding all over the place, even when not wet. As a result I'm probably cycling intentionally slower that I used to.
  • It's not a comfy ride at all, and I'm continually fearful that I'd going to damage the wheels on a kerb.
  • I had a fall off the bike last December in light ice which put me off using the bike throughout most of the winter.
  • I still only use the bike for commuting.
  • I carry a fair bit of weight on the bike, as I often have my work and gym stuff in a panier.
  • I'm basically enjoying cycling less and less, and therefore keep using any excuse to not cycle to work.
Therefore I'm looking for something more suited to my needs; a CX or Tourer perhaps? Recommendations would be gratefully received, and I'm looking in the region of £300 - 400. Happy to consider new or second-hand.

OP
OP
C

Chris Pardo

Regular
Any thoughts from anyone? Thinking that a CX (or similar type of hybrid) might be the right kind of thing, such as a Carrera Subway for example? Is there anything similar, but 'better' for sub-£400?

I remember last year being recommended a Vitus Vee-1 too, so I'd perhaps consider a fixie too for the short distances I'm cycling. Any opinions on this kind of thing too?

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Have you considered the Specialized Crosstrail? It's got a front suspension and slightly more gripped tyres which I found useful for pavements and drop downs. The new one is exactly £400 in most shops but you could probably find the 2013 model cheaper. I don't think you'll find a decent "proper" CX for £400 - goodness knows I haven't managed to yet!

OP
OP
C

Chris Pardo

Regular
It's quite comfy to cycle on normally, just not as I'm going up and down dropped kerbs, or over potholes etc. The quality of the roads around here is awful. I'm continually scared that I'm going to hit the edge of a dropped kerb too hard and damage one of the wheels.

It's a lovely bike, and I love how light it is, but I think it's unsuited to what I use it for. I think I need something a bit more rugged, with wider, grippier tyres. I've changed the tyres to Conti GP 4 Seasons, but it hasn't made much of a difference. I'm aware I could probably change out the wheels/tyres for something 'fatter', but I can't really afford the expense at the moment. I'd sell the Sirrus to fund any new bike.

Thanks for the recommendation Ollie. Not quite sure about the need for front suspension, but I've had no problem with Specialized as a brand and there's a shop just down the road from me, so it's definitely worth considering.

Fubar

Guru
Hi All, just after a bit of advice and recommendations.

About a year ago I swapped a falling-apart, second-hand MTB that I'd been using for a couple of years to commute roughly 2.5 miles to work 2/3 times a week, for a hybrid. A Specialized Sirrus (2011 Elite, I think) to be precise. My thinking was that I was mostly commuting, but would like to maybe do a bit of road use at weekends. However, I've found realised that:
  • A very small portion of my commute is on roads, and the rest is on cycle paths on pavements. I never have to worry about weaving through traffic.
  • This means I'm up and down the edges of pavements (most not properly dropped down), across potholes and paving stones that feel like the backend of the bike is sliding all over the place, even when not wet. As a result I'm probably cycling intentionally slower that I used to.
  • It's not a comfy ride at all, and I'm continually fearful that I'd going to damage the wheels on a kerb.
  • I had a fall off the bike last December in light ice which put me off using the bike throughout most of the winter.
  • I still only use the bike for commuting.
  • I carry a fair bit of weight on the bike, as I often have my work and gym stuff in a panier.
  • I'm basically enjoying cycling less and less, and therefore keep using any excuse to not cycle to work.
Therefore I'm looking for something more suited to my needs; a CX or Tourer perhaps? Recommendations would be gratefully received, and I'm looking in the region of £300 - 400. Happy to consider new or second-hand.

I got the Revolution Country Traveller from Edinburgh Bike Co-op (linky: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-country-traveller-13) specifically for commuting and perhaps a bit of touring - it's a heavier bike due to the mudguards and pannier rack but I don't like rucksacks and it definately helps to toughen the legs...

Slightly out of your price range but you could look 2nd-hand or Bike to Work scheme?!?

vickster

Legendary Member
The Trek 7.x ranges are a bit more rugged than the Sirrus, although still light. Also, have a look at Ridgeback's flat bar bikes and also Evans Pinnacle range. Crosstrail good, you could get the one with lock out which still has 45mm tyres and some bounce

EBC also have CX bikes a little cheaper but not as low as £400

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
+1 for the Ridgebacks. I have tried a few hybrid types for commuting/winter and just general pottering about and have found them to be great value for money. Take a look at the Rapide range and see if your budget will stretch to something like this (linky: http://www.tweekscycles.com/bikes/hybrids-city-bikes/ridgeback-comet-2013-hybrid-bike). If you hunt around you may still be able to get one of the 2013 models at a discounted price.

They are very forgiving to ride and have an adjustable stem for a more upright position if that's your preference. I love mine but I'm sure others will have views on different bikes.

Good luck.

Cyclist33

Why do you not cycle on the road?
unless it is a designated or shared use cycle path you can get a fine for riding on the pavement.
+1, sort of.

o.p. did say he used cycle paths on pavements so i assume, dessy or shared use. but i too am curious why not just take the plunge and learn to take the road. for one thing it will improve confidence. for another, it will mean the sirrus will be getting used for what it was designed to do, and thirdly it wont cost you anything!

Ollie W

Cycling pls
To be fair, here in Southampton two of the main cycling paths (the Avenue and Millbrook Road West) are on pavement/shared use areas. Certainly most of my ride to work from my old flat used to be!

Top Bottom