Bike for my partner - any places i've forgotten??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepecat

Inspired by the skyride in Brum yesterday, it seems the cycling bug has started to nibble at the o/h, and she's talking about getting a bike.

The buget is around £250 - ideally to include a helmet as well. I know that's cheap, but this is only going to be used a couple of dozen times a year at weekends and evenings as a sort of basic leisure / fitness thing. We're not looking at road bikes - more hybrid / touring type things, step through ones are winning so far.
We went to Halfords today just to look (yes, I know.......) and she is quite taken with the Apollo Etienne here or the Real Classic Ladies here
I'm trying to put her off the Real cos it's only three speed, and ms pepecat doesn't quite grasp the notion of gearage on a bike at the moment. She reckons three will be ok....... I don't think so - not around here anyway!

We're going to check out Decathlon as i understand they have decent bikes for the money...anywhere else to look?

Also, she's 5'5" so I reckon a 16 inch frame would be about the right size....I'm 5'7" and ride a 50 cm (19.7 inch) road bike, but sizing on mountain / touring / hybrids is slightly different, isn't it? Tends to be smaller?

Bensbikespares

have you tried www.Ebay.co.uk ? spend £250 on a used bike, and you can get a better bike

OP
OP
pepecat

pepecat

I would rather avoid eBay if possible. Bought what turned out to be a right doozy of a bike from there last year-description and actual working machine (or not) did not match. I don't want to repeat that experience, especially as it's not for me and I'd never hear the last of it if it was another crap bike!
I'm familiar with bike pro in kings Heath- will check them out, ta- had asumed they would be too expensive for what we're after, but looking's free!

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 1449765"]
For that price, with a helmet, you won't beat Decathlon. That's not to say they're a compromise, I've yet to see one of their bikes which isn't great value for money.

[/quote]

+1

I don 't think Decathlon realise how good their brand name is in this country. It's my default shop when buying / comparing goods. :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
I bought a Decathlon Rockrider 5.1 ladies bike for the wife, following some advice from here (including User). Very pleased with it too, albeit I would have preferred to buy her a rigid fork version, but the geometry didn't feel suitable on the ones available.

OP
OP
pepecat

pepecat

Thanks all - the purchase has been made! (The o/h doesn't hang about when she's made her mind up on something...)
We went to Decathlon and tried various bikes, and she settled on this one
It's a comfortable ride - front suspension and all (get her!!) which feels a bit weird when you brake, but otherwise feels good and sturdy. Got the bike, gloves and helmet (and trouser clips) all for under budget.
Job done. :smile:

Top Bottom