bike for the pub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
lol bloody hell, i'll google it, I was guessing at 2-3 miles but people seem to be bothered.....

1 mile, and google suggests 20 minutes to walk it. There glad we cleared that up :laugh::laugh:

but yes, in all seriousness, I do see your point, but just a nicer trip, i.e. few minutes (see I've now moved to a vague "few") or 20 on foot, can't really be bothered, much easier to cycle especially on a mountain bike, no gear, no clips etc. Jump on and go. I'd go for a fixie as I used to love my globe roll but I think throwing my leg over it would be an issue again.

si_c

Guru
all very valid points... I think the budget was more based around me missing having a nice bike. But you're right really. A nice bike isn't likely to be there at the end of a night. Whereas a £10 hack might stand half a chance.

You wouldn't be too upset about a £10 bike if it was missing and if you ended up in falling into a ditch it wouldn't upset you much either. That being said a £10 bike that rides really nicely is like gold dust, so maybe I would be annoyed.

vickster

Legendary Member
all very valid points... I think the budget was more based around me missing having a nice bike. But you're right really. A nice bike isn't likely to be there at the end of a night. Whereas a £10 hack might stand half a chance.
N+1 ;)

but if a 20 minute walk, I’d not bother with bike, especially if alcohol involved

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
much easier to cycle especially on a mountain bike, no gear, no clips etc. Jump on and go. I'd go for a fixie as I used to love my globe roll but I think throwing my leg over it would be an issue again.
This is one of the things I love about my Kingpin. You literally pull it out, throw a leg over it and ride, wearing whatever you have on. Every other bike I have demands a specific uniform which takes time and effort to locate and change into*.

*tongue firmly in cheek, but not entirely untrue :whistle:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So choose a pub that serves Kobe beef and Maine lobster burger and wash it down with a bottle or two of BrewDog The End of History and your budget is quite substantial!

I'll settle for £2.50 a pint real ales and a 'spoons curry on a Thursday night. I'm easy to please like that. £20 in the pub and a £20 hack bike to get me there and back. I'm afraid I tend to think of Brewdog as paint stripper, not good beer. Most of their output is not really to my liking. :eek:

OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
I'll settle for £2.50 a pint real ales and a 'spoons curry on a Thursday night. I'm easy to please like that. £20 in the pub and a £20 hack bike to get me there and back. I'm afraid I tend to think of Brewdog as paint stripper, not good beer. Most of their output is not really to my liking. :eek:

I don't like the guy who started it. See him on linkedin every other day talking nonsense. Therefore I will not buy their beer. All abit to trendy for me anyway.

I brew my own mostly

bitsandbobs

Über Member
What's a pub bike. I'd rather walk to the pub, and stagger home ! :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member

KneesUp

Guru
If you want a cheap and cheerful bike to go to the pub and you have a bad hip, try a Dahon folder - no need to get your leg over, and surprisingly ok to ride. Plus you can take it on the train or stick it in the boot for a short hip-friendly ride somewhere else. Mine has been worth the £120 I paid for it just for the convenience of sticking it in the boot when I take the car for a service. They're surprisingly useful.

Define good-ish. My pub bike used to be this Raleigh Pioneer hybrid, which was built from the worst of three donor bikes I bought as a job lot for £10.
View attachment 569520
Unfortunately the frame eventually cracked, so I built up another Pioneer using a spare frame, which I don't have a current photo of. The point is though it does the job and it cost peanuts.
I also use this Apollo as a pub bike, woods riding bike, going to the shops bike, and general hack and its actually a good bike. Don't laugh, it might be a Halfords low budget job but it does all the things I want it to do, it works properly, it has never broken and I've had three years out of it so far and have not spent more than £10 on it in all that time.
View attachment 569523

Any bike can be a pub bike, but where I live only an idiot would leave anything actually worth nicking parked outside while they were inside drinking and the bike not in direct line of sight. That rules out any bike that cost more than the amount of food and beer I will consume whilst inside the pub.
This is one of the things I love about my Kingpin. You literally pull it out, throw a leg over it and ride, wearing whatever you have on. Every other bike I have demands a specific uniform which takes time and effort to locate and change into*.

*tongue firmly in cheek, but not entirely untrue :whistle:
I can imagine that in certain parts of London a Kingpin might actually be rather nickable.

wilko

Veteran
Define good-ish. My pub bike used to be this Raleigh Pioneer hybrid, which was built from the worst of three donor bikes I bought as a job lot for £10.
View attachment 569520
Unfortunately the frame eventually cracked, so I built up another Pioneer using a spare frame, which I don't have a current photo of. The point is though it does the job and it cost peanuts.
I also use this Apollo as a pub bike, woods riding bike, going to the shops bike, and general hack and its actually a good bike. Don't laugh, it might be a Halfords low budget job but it does all the things I want it to do, it works properly, it has never broken and I've had three years out of it so far and have not spent more than £10 on it in all that time.
View attachment 569523

Any bike can be a pub bike, but where I live only an idiot would leave anything actually worth nicking parked outside while they were inside drinking and the bike not in direct line of sight. That rules out any bike that cost more than the amount of food and beer I will consume whilst inside the pub.
Off topic a bit, but what are those mudguards?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Off topic a bit, but what are those mudguards?

If you're on about the MTB ones, they were made by Zefal. They are reasonably effective but not as good as full touring/commuting type ones. Don't ask me if you can still get them, as they came off a scrapper I acquired, so I didn't actually buy them. You can get very similar unbreakable black plastic ones off eBay for £6 a pair, which I also use.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
good to know i'll take a look.

to be honest, was looking more at a better used than a basic new.

but yeah, that's why they want to delay with me - they don't want to have to do it again if they can help it. At the mo it's only the left hip but they've advised the right is on it's way out too.... karate at a young age - clearly not good for you.
At the moment decent secondhand bikes are going for nearly as much as new ones because of shortages across the bike sector.
In your position I'd get a £50 bike off Gumtree. Anything remotely decent left outside a pub will be targeted and either have bits pinched off or totally stolen.

Top Bottom