Bike id help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just back from southern Spain and in a shop window on Calle Tetuan, Almunécar was, what looked like a vintage sit up and beg, with rod brakes.
It was interesting enough, but what caught my attention was a pedal, secured on the down tube just above where the crank passes it. The pedal pivoted on a bolt secured to a built in lug on the down tube and interrupted the brake rod on route to the brake.

I've had a quick google for an image to show it to a friend, but had no joy in finding one. Any ideas?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
You need to get a flight back there and take a piccy!! :smile:

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Not a spoon brake, no.

If you imagine the normal rod feed brake set up, it's exactly like that, except the length on the down tube is interrupted by the foot operated pivot bolted to the frame. It looked like it was a manufacturers part rather than a later addition.

Total guess, but I'd say the bike was 50's, with pneumatic tyres and a well sprung saddle.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
50 years of working on bikes of all ages/vintage and haven't come across that adaption. Amazing how something as simple as the humble bicycle can throw up so many surprises, innovations and variations. Right what is the next mystery :-)

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
It's a parking brake. When depressed the rod lines pass each other and lock the rear brake on. Used on utility bikes on the continent circa 40's/50's. Info from an ex pat "old school pal" collector in Switzerland who has one.

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Cheers rbreid. I can see how it works now you point it out, but I'm not clear on why.

The bike would be resting on something anyway that'd negate the need for a brake wouldn't it? Failing that it'd fall over, so the wheels going round wouldn't matter.

Sorry if I'm being thick.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
The jist of the reply is utility bikes in towns/cities built into the sides of hills and where bike is carrying loads were fitted with these to use in conjunction with a prop stand when parking on slopes. Peter does say this is anecdotal however and has no hard reference to go on. There is an aged swiss guy in his LBS in Beille who he will quiz on monday though.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Peter got back to me this morning. Theory confirmed by the old guy but nothing in reference, so still anecdotal I'm afraid. You could email the shop, they are likely to have someone who speaks english

Top Bottom