Bike identification.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Please can someone identify my Tierney bike from its frame number? Any info would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0354 (2).JPG
    DSC_0354 (2).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0354 (2).JPG
    DSC_0354 (2).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 4

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Can't help de code the frame number but welcome to forum

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Never heard of this name before but there is a Tierney Cycles in Ennis Ireland, could be worth following up. Frame is quite old due to the braze on cable guides on top of the BB. Number doesn’t look familiar. Wheelbase looks quite long so no racer.

classic33

Leg End Member
Never heard of this name before but there is a Tierney Cycles in Ennis* Ireland, could be worth following up. Frame is quite old due to the braze on cable guides on top of the BB. Number doesn’t look familiar. Wheelbase looks quite long so no racer.
There was also one in Foxford, County Mayo.

*Near the Cathedral
Phone: +353 65 682 9433

I can give a bit of background to Tierney Cycles. As Classic33 rightly said, they were on Aigburth Road, Liverpool. I actually had a Saturday job working in the shop around 1978, and earned enough money to pay for my first custom made frame, built by Norman Tierney himself. I'd say that Mickthepump's frame is similar vintage to mine judging by the decals and the braze ons, so late 70s. The shop itself opened in 1977 (I remember that because it's the year the Milk Race held a stage in nearby Sefton Park, and Norman hadn't long been open.
Sorry to hear of Norman's passing, he was a nice bloke and was good to work for.
I no longer have my frame - it actually emigrated with me to Australia, and up to about 15 years ago I still had it - wish I'd kept it!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
If you are after the tubing there is probably not going to be a brochure to tell you what it is.

Also - and I doubt this applies in this case - always question the validity of the stickers. People have been sticking odd transfers on bikes for years to "upgrade" them to something more exotic.

If you want to guess the quality of the tubing the first stop is to check for any residue of tubing stickers.

After that it is then down to some detective work - assume it's either 531 or 501 and check the weight for size comparison (not an exact science but it is a guide), tap the tubes for a nice crisp sound or a dull thud, check the quality and make of the dropouts, check for mudguard clearance and mudguard tabs on the frame. These will all guide you to an assessment of the quality of the frame.

Top Bottom