Bike is going too fast for me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im a total novice to bike riding, and Im 56 years old. Hubby brought me home a bike yesterday and whilst I was able to get on it and ride it allbeit extreemly wobbly, I felt very unsafe as I honestly felt like I was doing 90 miles an hour. It felt like even the tiniest touch of the pedals seemed to get it whizzing along. This bike seems to go so flippin fast all on its own. How can that be?

So can someone tell me how to make this bike, which has 21 gears on it !!! tell me what gears I should be in to make me feel like I have a bit more control of the bike. I would like to be able to pedal steadily and yet not be 'doing a ton' at the same time.

Your all probably thinking what a wally I am, but Im not going to let this thing beat me. I rode as a kid, and just thought it would all come flooding back so easily, but this bike does not seem like my bike was when I was a kid, this bike seems to have a mind of its own. Help.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's just a question of getting used to it. I went on my mountain bike for the first time in a year the other day and felt decidedly nervous for a while. As MrP says, find a flattraffic free area to practice pedalling at a rate you feel comfortable with, turning the handlebars, leaning over into bends and applying the brakes smoothly.
Most of us on this forum would quite like to go faster without effort so you've nothing to worry about in the long run!

domtyler

Über Member
You could let some air out of the tyres Cameo. On the side of the tyre should be a range of pressures, e.g. 75-90 psi. Make sure they are at the lowest pressure indicated for your tyres. It will make the ride more comfortable too.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Try to think logicly. as you are a total novice as you say you can't really be going that fast. Find a local park and practice there for a while until you get the hang of the bike. Your confidence wll grow and after a while you will notice that you are really going fast.

LLB

rich p said:
It's just a question of getting used to it. I went on my mountain bike for the first time in a year the other day and felt decidedly nervous for a while. As MrP says, find a flattraffic free area to practice pedalling at a rate you feel comfortable with, turning the handlebars, leaning over into bends and applying the brakes smoothly.
Most of us on this forum would quite like to go faster without effort so you've nothing to worry about in the long run!

Don't lean into bends whilst riding in first gear or you will fall off, you don't carry enough momentum to do this safely.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Don't worry you will soon get used to it and start to enjoy the speed...:biggrin:

bonj2

Cameo said:
Im a total novice to bike riding, and Im 56 years old. Hubby brought me home a bike yesterday and whilst I was able to get on it and ride it allbeit extreemly wobbly, I felt very unsafe as I honestly felt like I was doing 90 miles an hour. It felt like even the tiniest touch of the pedals seemed to get it whizzing along. This bike seems to go so flippin fast all on its own. How can that be?
you won't have been, trust me.
Cameo said:
So can someone tell me how to make this bike, which has 21 gears on it !!! tell me what gears I should be in to make me feel like I have a bit more control of the bike. I would like to be able to pedal steadily and yet not be 'doing a ton' at the same time.

Your all probably thinking what a wally I am, but Im not going to let this thing beat me. I rode as a kid, and just thought it would all come flooding back so easily, but this bike does not seem like my bike was when I was a kid, this bike seems to have a mind of its own. Help.

Have you tried riding up a hill?
Failing that you could just put a bit of locktite in the hubs, but you might then change your mind and decide you want to go fast again.

ASC1951

Guru
Cameo said:
This bike seems to go so flippin fast all on its own. How can that be?
Think positive - it's because you're a natural athlete and the bike is just bringing it out of you.

When you have put a few hundred miles on it and reality has caught up, you will be going that fast.

Top Bottom