Bike just arrived...... and I got a free upgrade!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DDYB

Ordered a Giant Defy 3 through Halfords' Cycle2Work scheme for £575. Went to pick it up tonight but they had actualy sent a Giant Defy 2 by mistake. It had the price tag of £775 but the guy in Halfords was saying the paperwork showed it as a Defy 3 therefore I could either send it back for the correct bike or take the Defy 2 for the price of the 3 (£575).......... So I took the free upgrade.

I had my heart set on the Defy 3 as I wanted a triple but I know this is obviously a much better bike............. Should I be happy with this free upgrade?

Confused !!

montage

God Almighty
I'd be happy with a free £200 worth of bike ;)

maurice

Yeah, just stick an mtb cassette on the back or fit a smaller chainring if you find you want lower ratios.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Being unfamiliar with the Giant Defy 3 or 2, I decided to google it. The first Giant web site I found showed them both having a triple (Shimano Sora 30/42/52T), I was just about to post a comment to ask what the problem was when I noticed the prices where given in AU$. A quick check of the GB web site showed the 2 having Shimano Tiagra 34/50 cranks and the 3 having FSA Vero 30/39/50, both are using a Shimano HG50 12-25 rear cassette and Shimano HG73. So all you need do is change the chain rings...

Personally, unless you really need the granny ring (ie you have a lot of very steep hills, I wouldn't bother.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Just bear in mind that converting a double to a triple is an expensive business.
New chainset, bottom bracket, shifters, front mech (perhaps).

If you want lower gears, all you can do on a double is change the cassette as 34T is the smallest chainring that will fit. At least it's 9-speed so MTB cassettes are available, though more than 30T will also need a new rear mech.
On a triple, you've also the option of swapping the 30T small chainring down as small as 24T, though that may require that the large chainring is also dropped to 48T. (I've been using 24/38/48 for years)

andrew_s said:
Just bear in mind that converting a double to a triple is an expensive business.

If you want lower gears, all you can do on a double is change the cassette as 34T is the smallest chainring that will fit. At least it's 9-speed so MTB cassettes are available, though more than 30T will also need a new rear mech.
On a triple, you've also the option of swapping the 30T small chainring down as small as 24T, though that may require that the large chainring is also dropped to 48T. (I've been using 24/38/48 for years)

+1

If you're happy with the compact OK but if you really wanted the triple then don't think of converting it just get the other bike.

Noodley

Crackle said:
+1

If you're happy with the compact OK but if you really wanted the triple then don't think of converting it just get the other bike.

Which is exactly what I was going to say.

Mortiroloboy

The defy 2 with its compact, is a better deal IMO, if you want you could easily swap the standard short rear derailliuer for a medium cage RD and add a larger rear cassette. Sorted.

Mortiroloboy

andrew_s said:

You will need to replace the shifters to give the extra throw for the extra chainring on the crankset, and you'll need to change the front derailliuer.

Top Bottom