Bike just for turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

owilkes

Hi all,
Total bike newbie here. Want to get fit using turbo trainer, have knackered 15yr old Felt bike hooked up to wahoo kickr, but chain keeps slipping and coming off. Friend who fixes up bikes said it not possible to make road safe as so much of it is shot it’s not worth repairing, should I get 2nd opinion? don’t want to buy a new bike just to put on turbo, any advice?
How would you go about getting a cheap bike that would work on a turbo?
Thanks

First off, the only way it might not be road safe is if the brakes need attention or the frame is shot somehow. Certainly, I'd be surprised if it couldn't be fixed up enough for the turbo for far less than a new bike, or even a cheap used one. Look around on here, make a few more posts, then you can post photos. Then the hive mind can advise more accurately. And :welcome:, by the way!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Find out what's exactly wrong with the bike, kickr is a smart trainer so only the 'rings ' are being used from the bike as the cassette is on the trainer.

Does it need indexing?

It could be the Kickr Snap though, rather than the Kickr Core. The Core as you rightly say, does have the cassette on the trainer, the Snap though, is a cheaper, wheel on smart trainer, so the back wheel of the bike is used.

Either way I would suggest that it is probably only the chain and cassette that need replacing, which shouldn't cost too much at all. The bike that I currently have attached to my Kickr Snap, has no brakes and a few other small issues that would currently prevent it's use on the road, however, the drive train is fully functional and that is really all that matters for turbo use.

As long as you can make the chain run OK and it fits on the turbo (you don't even need gears if you are training with ERG although I'd rather have them) you don't need to make it roadsafe for a turbo; you only sweat on it anyway and if you stress a frame you are better stressing an old frame on the turbo than a new one :okay:

Top Bottom