Bike lock question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycleman

I am considering getting this lock 'Abus Varedo 47 23cm Bike D Lock'

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-varedo...g&utm_adgroup=abus_Varedo 47 23cm Bike D Lock

I have a trek 7.5 fx which I bought for 220 quid & was told by my insurance company to to buy an approved sold secure lock.

I know that no bike lock is 100% secure and I did not want something thats cheap or too expensive.

I will be using my bike to commute to work mon to fri and it will be left in a secure bike park that I pay 20 quid a month for.

Even though the above makes me happy I still dont want to be a cheapskate because you never know when you might have to leave it locked somewhere.

I dont have a secondary lock as it will be left in the bike park at all times (although i might get one at a later stage). Just wanted to get your guys opinions on the price as I want to buy this weekend.

Regards

Cycleman

Sleeper

I got this recently as Kryptonite seem to be 'the guys' with bike security. I had a £10 off coupon too, but these are available elsewhere on the web for £20ish. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...dium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google-Products-UK
You don't say where you are though - if in a major city, I'd go for 'sold secure gold' and get a couple!
Cheers, B

marooned

Über Member
I'd like to know what type of bike locks people use. I have a thin old cable lock which I know can be snipped in seconds. Trouble is, D locks can usually only lock the frame and maybe one wheel if your'e lucky. Do people use 2 locks to stop the wheels getting stolen? I was also thinking of weight issues as some can be really heavy....what do you suggest?

sabian92

Über Member
I use a Kryptonite Kryptolok to lock it to whatever through the frame/front wheel, then a cable around the rear wheel, frame and the post. Front wheel gets the D-lock as it's a QR and easy to nick, and the rear one gets the cable as if you were going to nick it you'd have to take the chain off and faf around with the deraileur etc. You can buy mini D-locks though, to lock your wheels to your frame if they're quick release wheels.

Just looked at your link now - you can buy one of those from Evans or Wiggle for a tenner less than that price, so have a good look on there. I've got the exact same lock and it cost me £22.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I use one of these...

gk730125.jpg

...and got rid of the QR on the front wheel (after having it nicked :sad: )

juanpelota

I am considering getting this lock 'Abus Varedo 47 23cm Bike D Lock'

http://www.wiggle.co...Bike%20D%20Lock

I have a trek 7.5 fx which I bought for 220 quid & was told by my insurance company to to buy an approved sold secure lock.

Cycleman

I think I might start by asking them what they would consider an approved sold secure lock.

I would also take a look at where you are going to leave the bike, is it in view, behind gates etc. before you purchase a lock. Consider what areas you will leave the bike in, are they high risk etc.

I use a Kryptonite Series 2 on all my bikes, even when they are in my shed. I've kept my QR's on the front and make sure the lock secures the front wheel to the frame and use the cable through the back wheel.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but consider how you lock the bike e.g. lock where it can't be smashed etc. and secured to something solid

As you can see from the stolen bikes forum, there's a lot of it about, and too many thieving bar stewards.

Juan (speaking from bad experience)

Good luck.

PS The Abus looks adequate.

How you lock is as important as the lock itself.

There was a wonderful testimony to this at the Gosport Ferry Terminal.

A Gold Secure Bulldog lock had worked perfectly in locking the front wheel to the stand..... all the thief had done was undo the QR and walk off with the bike.

Personally I "U lock" the back wheel through the frame as standard on all the trikes and bikes, and than lock the rest according to the machine itself

Top Bottom