Bike maintenance course (what we did)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

This Stayrday i went down to the coast for day one of this course:
http://www.bikeforlife.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=37

I missed the level one day (basics) so went straight onto level 2 & will do level 3 next Saturday.

For £30 I thought this was a good value day (10-4pm). There were three students and one mechanic which was just about right I felt. More students per mechanic though might have meant getting less done I felt.

Firstly there was a demonstration of each task, then we were let loose on our own bikes to do the damage and fix it, whilst under the eyes of the mechanic. Basically this was an ideal way to learn, I mean by actually doing the work yourself under guidence.

I now know this:

How to strip down the cables and re fit the bike with new gear/brake cables, or just maintan the existing ones etc

How to dismantle & re-Set up the brake system correctly and safely, including how to repalce blocks etc

How to set up the rear de railer system correctly.

Next weekend we will re cap the above then move onto:

Replacing broken spokes
wheel trues
servicing and or replacing bottom brackets/bearings etc

I found the instructor to be very friendly and professional in how he conducted the day, as well and being competent and clearly a chap who enjoyed the job.

Ok, I dont get a certificate or whatever like you do on the mor epricey courses , but next time I tour I will feel mor econfident that I can fix most things on the bike myself.

Given that a basic service at the LBS costs more than this course I felt it was well worth the cash/time.

So...if you fancy a weekend or two on the coast messing with bikes, this might be worth a punt.

:laugh:

Tynan

Veteran
sounds excellent and worthwhile, ta

if you live near brighton ...

theboytaylor

Hi,

If you live in or around London, I can recommend the Cycle Training UK course. http://www.cycletraining.co.uk/training/individual_training.php#maintenance

I did the basic one yesterday and will be doing the intermediate in a couple of weeks. Covered pretty much the same stuff as described by BTFB and you work on your own bike.

Think the price is £60 per class which is a bit steep but you can get subsidies/discounts if you live/work in certain boroughs.

I've done a bit of work on my bike before, usually with the help of my Dad (I'm 32 and still going "Daad, how does this work?:tongue:), but it's normally been specific trouble-shooting. He knows his stuff and sometimes goes a bit quick for my small brain. The structure of the CTUK course really helped me out because you have a chat around the whole thing, then do a bit of tinkering on your own bike and can ask the tutors all sorts of question, both general and specific to your bike.

It's in Sarf Lahndon btw, for all you lily-livered North of the River types.

Top Bottom