Bike on a roof rack on ferries?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bayerd

Über Member
Does anybody know whether ferries will allow cars with bikes on the roof rack? We're hoping to go to France in a few weeks time, and with 2 small children, there's no room for the bike in the car. The roof racks look safer than the strap on rear (can't use a tow bar as it's a company car).

Thanks.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Should do. You'll be loaded with the camper vans and lorries as an overheight vehicle, although that can be an advantage as sometimes the trucks get off the ferry first :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
AFAIK it's OK, we did it some years ago. You just need to tell them when you book the total height, we have to do the same with an MPV + roofbox.
Rear carriers also have to be notified.

400bhp

Guru
Yes they do. Just come back from France with two on the roof. You should pay more, in that you specify the height of the vehicle on booking to be 2.5m or above. We did that but I think next time I won't bother as I'm not sure they check in much detail.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Yes they do. Even the small hydofoils did. It had the advantage that you couldn't be stuck down in the bow of the boat where you would be last out.

Top Bottom