Bike pedals won't thread in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lily2020

Hi,

I bought a kids bike online and the pedals won't thread into the crank. It doesn't even fit in the hole. I've tried grease, adding pressure while threading and it just won't stay put.

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_112438.jpg
    IMG_20200725_112438.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200725_112427.jpg
    IMG_20200725_112427.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 25

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The pedals are either left threadded or right threadded - don't get that wrong or you'll damage the thread. Some kids bikes do have odd sizes, but assuming it's new the pedals should be correct.

Reactions: C R

Sharky

Guru
Not all threads are equal.
A google search brought up :-

Thread Sizes
Most pedals have 9/16" x 20 tpi threads. Pedals for one-piece cranks are 1/2" x 20 tpi. Older French bicycles used a 14 mm x 1.25 mm thread, but these are quite rare.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not all threads are equal.
A google search brought up :-

Thread Sizes
Most pedals have 9/16" x 20 tpi threads. Pedals for one-piece cranks are 1/2" x 20 tpi. Older French bicycles used a 14 mm x 1.25 mm thread, but these are quite rare.
Yep but they look like 1/2 inch crankarms to me, my Trike has got the f£^%"£(g things on it .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You’ve got the wrong size pedals. Sounds like the thread of the supplied pedals is too small Or maybe too big. When they were packing your bike for dispatch someone threw in the wrong pedals. Ask them to supply the correct ones.

OP
OP
L

Lily2020

The pedals are either left threadded or right threadded - don't get that wrong or you'll damage the thread. Some kids bikes do have odd sizes, but assuming it's new the pedals should be correct.
Thank you, I did make sure that I was putting the correct pedals on, still won't fit. But thanks for looking!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Search: "childrens bike pedal thread"
The first image looks like a 'normal' pedal to me (ie 9/16ths). Very likely the crank requires a child's pedal (1/2") (which is why the pedal axle thread is 'too big' (diameter) for it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Search: "childrens bike pedal thread"
The first image looks like a 'normal' pedal to me (ie 9/16ths). Very likely the crank requires a child's pedal (1/2") (which is why the pedal axle thread is 'too big' (diameter) for it.
They're not necessarily a 'childs' pedal, a lot of BMX bikes and American 'cruiser' bikes with the oversize 'inside out' bottom bracket and one piece crank use the smaller thread. My Trike is similarly afflicted by one of those cranks, I keep looking at getting an adapter to convert the BB to a normal one but they're £20 and then there is the crank to buy and I can't afford it at the moment.

Top Bottom