Bike refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Not wanting to hijack the build a bike thread but I've been following it with interest.
The n+1 is beginning to bite. I have an allez road bike for leisure and a hardtail mountain bike for my short commute. I'll never sneak a higher spec carbon bike under the radar.

Almost 30 years ago my only previous drop bar bike was a 12 speed Carlton in steel. I quite fancy something of that vintage as a project. It will give me an excuse to buy some tools if nothing else.

So what would it take to get say a 6 speed 80s racer running well? Probably looking at slightly wider tyres and mudguards. Not fussed about looks I don't want a classic restoration, more a reliable runaround. Would £100 on bits - not counting the tools do it?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
a very useful resource is retrobike

I'll never sneak a higher spec carbon bike under the radar.

^and why would you want too? :whistle:

Seriously though, I picked up an 80's Peugeot road bike off fleabay a while ago, I paid a bit more than I really wanted to, (probably due to the growing trend for all things 'retro'), but TBH, if I'd wanted to just use it as it was, then a quick gear service, swift brake check and some air in the rubber was all it needed.

I rode it around the block and everything was working fine, (feels very strange though if you're now used to a modern bike), but I then stripped it for a full restoration and fixed gear conversion, but if I hadn't I'd have still had a perfecly serviceable bike for a lot less than you've suggested.

Plus there is something unquantifiably satisfying about standing back and thinking, "I built that" :thumbsup:

Manonabike

Über Member
Not wanting to hijack the build a bike thread but I've been following it with interest.
The n+1 is beginning to bite. I have an allez road bike for leisure and a hardtail mountain bike for my short commute. I'll never sneak a higher spec carbon bike under the radar.

Almost 30 years ago my only previous drop bar bike was a 12 speed Carlton in steel. I quite fancy something of that vintage as a project. It will give me an excuse to buy some tools if nothing else.

So what would it take to get say a 6 speed 80s racer running well? Probably looking at slightly wider tyres and mudguards. Not fussed about looks I don't want a classic restoration, more a reliable runaround. Would £100 on bits - not counting the tools do it?

I did a similar job on my Reynolds 531 18 months ago.

Mine was a 7 speeds indexed bike, hardly used, and I began by putting new tyres, after 15 years in storage. After riding it for about a 1000 miles I decided that I wanted STI gear levers because I found that hills were harder to climb as I could not change gears once started climbing. That was the main reason for me and I was totally right.

If you have hills to climb then you might want to go for STI levers..... I think you can still find shimano 7 speeds STI levers around. I did look at them but I didn't like them :biggrin: so, if you go to anything above 7 gears you will need to get a new rear wheel so that you can fit an 8 or bigger cassette. Your frame will probably have a gap of 126mm for the rear wheel.... there is plenty of information on how to overcome that problem. £100 might not be far off, A pair of shimano 8 speeds STI levers were sold here for about £45 not very long ago. A rear wheel could be as cheap as £30, an 8 speed cassette for under £15 and a chain for under a tenner :biggrin:

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Thanks guys

I've had a look at retrobike. There is enough there to keep me going for a while. I've no experience of older indexed gears, but I used to be pretty good with the old friction shifters and I'm happy to start with them.

Main usage is likely to be running around town so no huge hills.

Top Bottom