Bike repairs/maintenance in Preston

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are quite a few indie bike repair places in Preston (Lancs) and I have no idea which ones are good and which ones are not ... I want my bike thoroughly checked, the brake cables adjusting (they've stretched in the several months since I bought it) and a luggage truss fitted.
No, I cannot - and will not! - do it myself. It's a Dahon folder and I don't want to take it anywhere that will laugh at it. It deserves better than that.
If anyone can recommend - or perhaps even more importantly, NOT recommend - any particular business (in Preston, not outside it as I must use either my bike or public transport) I would be very appreciative. A DM might be best for the sake of public tact.
TIA.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d find an LBS that sells and thus has experience of folding bike, even if just Bromptons :okay: Where did you get the bike from as a starting point (if a local store?)

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
I’d find an LBS that sells and thus has experience of folding bike, even if just Bromptons :okay: Where did you get the bike from as a starting point (if a local store?)
I got the bike from a shop many many many miles away! There was nothing, zilch, nothing even remotely suitable within many miles radius and believe me I tried.

I have had no problems whatsoever with the bike and every communication - and there have been many, both before and after the purchase, with what some people might think to be silly questions but spending several hundred £ sight unseen on the internet with a small business is not something I do lightly - with the shop and staff was wonderful. If I were anywhere within even remotely reasonable distance from it I would take it back there for a thorough check-up and fitting of the luggage truss. If it were even reachable by Northern Rail from here I would happily book a couple of nights in the area to take it and bring it back, but it's not!

I've had it and used it, not heavily as such, but regularly, for almost 9 months now; I've kept it reasonably clean, stored it in a dry shed and put lubricant on the bits that need lubricant. I feel it now needs at least the courtesy of a check-up - one of the brake cables has stretched somewhat and there's slightly uneven wear on the rear brake blocks - before summer is upon us. And I want the luggage truss fitted which requires a torque wrench and I have NO tools other than tyre levers and a multi-tool ...

So it doesn't require rocket science, just space and tools which I simply don't have. A few years ago I could've done this myself with no issue; now I need to find someone who can do a simple job, competently. I'm not having much success in contacting any of the Preston ones I've found by phone so as next week is forecast to be mainly dry and sunny, I might just ride or bus out to the two or three nearest to see how I feel about them - but it'd be interesting to hear the opinion of anyone who's used any of them.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I know you said local to Preston, but I use Hewitt's in Leyland to do anything I can't do myself. They're a proper bikeshop equipped to do absolutely anything, but I've also seen them sort out a child's trike for a local kid. They're only one stop south on the railway. Worth making an appointment and tell them you want to wait while it's done.

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
I know you said local to Preston, but I use Hewitt's in Leyland to do anything I can't do myself. They're a proper bikeshop equipped to do absolutely anything, but I've also seen them sort out a child's trike for a local kid. They're only one stop south on the railway. Worth making an appointment and tell them you want to wait while it's done.
Thanks, I'll definitely bear them in mind! The wrong side of Preston for me really, but if only one stop on the train, easily accessible. The map shows it as being very close to the station, too. I'll visit a couple of very local ones and see how I feel about them and if I don't feel confident and happy, I'll give Hewitt's a call.

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
Ummm OK :wacko: it was just a suggestion :wacko::wacko:
And a very good suggestion too; I really did try to get something local (or at least local-ish!) to me, in the main because of the ease of access in the case of problems/servicing etc, but there was simply nothing suitable available. It all turned out well; I bought from an independent (but sadly non-local) bike shop, so I haven't supported the Mike Ashleys of this world, and I got the perfect bike for me.

Top Bottom