Bike Servicing - where to go in Bath!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SPHDS

This my first post so please be gentle!

Well here we go: -

There are a couple of niggling problems that I want to get sorted on my bike, things that I have had a go at myself but can't quite resolve, and want some one who really knows what they are doing to fix: -

1) Both wheels need truing, rear one more than front - don't have a clue about this!

2) Brakes seem to constantly need adjusting and are generally appalling - could be an idiosyncrasy of them, could be my incompetence, just want someone else to look at them! (They are 'Weinmann 610 for Raleigh' centre pull cantilevers - am I missing something or are they just dire!?!)

Does anyone know a shop/workshop where I can take it that is relatively cheap and trustworthy - won't take me for a ride - no pun intended!

Any help appreciated!
Sam

If you ever find yourself in Monmouth (which is not that far away) on a weekend, PM me and I'll sort it out for you. I'll only charge you a couple of pints too!

bonj2

i've got weinman on my fixed, they seem ok.
pull the lever a couple of times with the wheel off, does the motion of the caliper appear ok i.e. are both the pads moving uniformly and the right distance?
are the pads uniformly, and not too, worn?
anyhow could be to do with the non-true wheels.

GrahamG

Guru
John's Bikes have a dedicated workshop a few doors down from the actual shop - I presume that they're good as the shop is really well run and the staff all helpful.

I'd have a crack at adjusting the brakes yourself. Try http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html for advice, work through it carefully and you'll soon grasp it. They can be a bugger to get set up well, but once they're sorted then they are very strong brakes. Beware really crap brake blocks; I had some shimano ones that were terrible, then installed kool stop pads and the difference was night and day.

OP
OP
S

SPHDS

Thanks for all the help guys, know of most of these places, was just wondering which was the best to use - AVC seem really dear, and a bit disorganised, my father thinks John's are a load of poseurs, I used to use Hares, but didn't know where they had moved to - used to go to them on Moorland Road - just wondering what peoples experiences were and where to go!

Cheers Rhythmn Thief, bit of a commute on the bike though, just have to get my driving licence and throw the bike in the car I 'spose! That fixie looks great and I like the music!

The brakes are effectively: -

2715579390_f4421889f7.jpg

(not my bike, a pic I found on the net!) What pads should I use - the ones originally on my bike were small, squat ones like in the photo, but couldn't seem to find them and was assured that the narrower longer type (ala V brake) would be just as good, is that right, or were they talking twaddle! If I need the smaller ones where do I find them - the only small ones seem to be for BMX's - are these suitable for touring/racers like mine!?!

Again, any advice appreciated - and sorry if the qu's seem a bit blond!

Cheers
Sam

jpembroke

Wow, U brakes but old skool. Worth trying v brake pads (do you have an old mTB you could swipe them off?). Probably need to mount the narrow washer wheel side or they'll rub though (Koolstop slimline pads are worth a go as they are narrower). I would have thought that road blocks would work, too.

Failing that, try new brakes. Looks like you'll need some rather long drop dual pivots though (try Tektro).

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
SPHDS said:
I used to use Hares, but didn't know where they had moved to - used to go to them on Moorland Road - just wondering what peoples experiences were and where to go!

Hares Cycle Works, 9 Crown Hill, Weston, Bath BA1 4BP. 01225 422 674

OP
OP
S

SPHDS

Hey, Cheers JPembroke, All I know is they seem a bugger to maintain tension in the cables when trying to tighten the nut (particularly on the rear brake as you have to work round the cycle rack!

I'll have a look in the bike shed (numerous parts from about 5-6 dismantled bikes) - probably some old MTB pads in there somewhere! Those Tektro's look promising, so if I really can't work these brakes out, I'll try them!

Thanks for that Speck, I'll pop over there when I get the time (completely wrong side of the city now!)

GrahamG

Guru
I away this weekend but have a stash of v-brake pads and time to ride out next weekend if you want a hand sorting it. I should be able to true the wheel to reasonable standard too!

OP
OP
S

SPHDS

Thanks Graham, that's really great of you, I have work on Saturdays (til 2100!), but could do Sunday next week if you are available! Have to remember to wash the bike - it is filthy at the mo!

Top Bottom