Bike Size Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SJM531

Was looking for a bit of advice folks. I am still riding my 1980's Reynolds 531 racer and it's a 21'' inch frame. However whilst it is ok for leg length with the seat adjusted, I find it slightly long in reach even with a short 60 quill stem in it. I'm 5' 7'' approx 29 inside leg, and was wondering if I would get away with a smaller frame. I was told about an 18 inch bike for sale (a more modern bike) and don't know if it would possibly be too small or not.
Thanks

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi now whilst I am no expert on this I ride a 19" frame and I am 5ft 10ins this size seems to suit me just fine so the 21" you have may just be a tad to tall ! and the 18" well someone will be along with more know how on these matters.

OP
OP
S

SJM531

Thanks Ernie, I'm beginning to think that is indeed the case to be honest. When I stand over the top bar it is about an inch or a bit less below my crotch.

Ern1e

Über Member
From memory I think that is ok on a road bike but it is also the lenght of the top tube which as you state that even with a short steme it un-comfy on the bars ( I had a simular problem with an old Dawes I had 24" frame)Plus it's a good reason to own another machine lol.

OP
OP
S

SJM531

Yes I find it ok for leg reach but it's a slight stretch to the bars. I have a master plan though, I'm going to revert back to the old traditional straight seat post and clamp set-up which will allow me to move the seat forward more. Just need to watch I'm not too far forward over the pedals though.

Top Bottom