Bike Storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuart_1985

Hello,

im just looking for some advice on storing mine and my girlfriends mountain bikes.

Due to living in a smallish one bedroom city centre flat we have very limited space and due to some recent bike thefts from our meant to be secure carparking garage we have been keeping our bikes on our balcony under a cheap ebay motorcycle cover, this has been fine over the summer but now getting into winter im not sure what the best thing to do is,

We have no space to install a wall hook or celing hanger etc, indoor storage at the flat is not an option.

I have looked into storing them at our local "self storage" place but this is going to work out about £33 a month. Which i would rather be spending on other things.

Does anybody have any ideas on how we would be able to store them on the balcony and be protected from the winter weather, bearing in mind we dont have room for a small shed or anything?

Sorry for the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart

crumpetman

Are you using the bikes regularly or just looking for somewhere to keep? Any friends/relatives with some spare garage space? Or, providing you are not using them regularly you could always take some bits off (handlebars and or wheels) and see if you can fit the bits under the bed or behind the sofa.

How about hanging the bike from the ceiling but hang it horizontally? There are some devices like this available but I have no idea what they cost.

g00se

Veteran
With regard to storing the bikes under a rain cover - it'll stop rain getting on the bikes, but it won't stop humidity and dew collecting inside the cover unless it's sealed. So if they're kept outside all of the winter, it could end up being just a little damp but for more of the time - with no real air flow to evaporate the condensation away. :sad:

Just googled ACF50 - looks good stuff. Maybe that and a cover would be the best bet?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If it is on a balcony there would be plenty of ventilation, I don't see that condensation would be a problem, but maybe covering it grease ACF50 might work.

Of course what flat dwellers really need is proper storage at ground level, but we not likely to see that any time soon :sad:

battered

Guru
Just keep the ACF 50 off all braking surfaces, it is oil based. That and a rain cover will work.

£33 a month is ridiculous, you can rent a garage in most places outside London for that. If you paid that out for a year you could replace most bikes.

Other than that it's a case of talking to friends with sheds or garages.

Top Bottom