Bike to fill vacancy....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Get to Decathlon, you can get a flat bar road bike with Tiagra for £500 or the same bike with Sora for £380. You don't need discs for commuting or fitness purposes.

Tiara: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-flat-bar-road-bike-tiagra-id_8322798.html
Sora: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-flat-bar-road-bike-sora-id_8322799.html

Decathlon have great customer service, life guarantee on frame, 3 years on components. If you have any probs with the bike it will be quickly sorted. I have 2 B'twins and will be getting another 2, fantastic bikes for the money.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, buy the one that you like the most when you ride it. People's experiences or spec sheets are fine for making a shortlist, but you do not know which will be optimum for you until you try.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Thanks for the replies and links. The Decathlon ones look appealing but not really mad on the idea of a road bike flat bar or not - geometry is just a little too aggressive for me as I have a neck problem hence the reason I mentioned that I'd like quite an upright position.

Discs are probably something I'd like but not a show stopper.

broady

Veteran
I have commuted on those two bikes:
20160218_141927.jpg 20150811_162543.jpg
I prefer the giant with rim brakes over the specialized with mechanical discs as I like to be able to fix an issue straight away road side and sort it out properly when I get home. I don't like working on discs.
I am going to put the single speed crank on the giant though as it is less to go wrong and have a wider range on the rear.
If I was buying new I'd go 1x11 with a 11/34 or 36 on the back with a 36-44 on the front (depending on how hilly).

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

I do like discs to be honest. I'd look at Giant as my LBS stock them but fancied something a little bit different hence I was looking at the Hoy and Merida.

If there are people with experience of these or even who can comment on the brands from a quality perspective that would be helpful.

The Merida looks to have a slightly better spec? I've also heard the bars on the Hoy are ridiculously wide (though replaceable) and that some components like the seat clamp are less than great.

Any views on Merida?

Thanks again.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yep, buy the one that you like the most when you ride it. People's experiences or spec sheets are fine for making a shortlist, but you do not know which will be optimum for you until you try.

Well said

Top Bottom