Bike trouble again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

I was checking the spokes today and noticed one that was really lose. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the spoke will not tighten, it will turn, but just makes clicking noise. I'm not sure what to do? I will upload a photo, as the base of spoke looks a little corroded.

Attachments

• IMG_20170823_132109.jpg
    IMG_20170823_132109.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 31
Is the spoke turning with the nipple or is the nipple turning on the spoke?

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Is the spoke turning with the nipple or is the nipple turning on the spoke?
I tried again and if I pull the spoke sideways (like a trigger action) it tightens. I think I have some spokes that are tight and some that are not so, sounds stupid. But I don't know if some spokes are too tight. Probably a good idea to get a spoke tensioner?

I tried again and if I pull the spoke sideways (like a trigger action) it tightens. I think I have some spokes that are tight and some that are not so, sounds stupid. But I don't know if some spokes are too tight. Probably a good idea to get a spoke tensioner?
No, a spoke tensioner won't help you. Your spokes are not J-bend spokes but straight-pull. In other words, they can turn in the hub. You need to hold the spoke with a pair or pliers or such whilst turning the nipple. Turn the nipple and pluck the spoke like a harp string. Listen to the tone and try and get it similar to that of the adjacent spokes on the same side of the wheel. The opposite-side spokes will sound different. That should make it true enough so that you can fine-tune it if needed.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

No, a spoke tensioner won't help you. Your spokes are not J-bend spokes but straight-pull. In other words, they can turn in the hub. You need to hold the spoke with a pair or pliers or such whilst turning the nipple. Turn the nipple and pluck the spoke like a harp string. Listen to the tone and try and get it similar to that of the adjacent spokes on the same side of the wheel. The opposite-side spokes will sound different. That should make it true enough so that you can fine-tune it if needed.
Ok thanks. I've never heard of J-Bend before, glad I asked.

Top Bottom