Bike tyre/wheel question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattk50

MattK50
Hi,

Is there anything that could be wrong with a back wheel to make you feel like you have a puncture when you don't have a puncture? Lol! I'll try to explain this better, when I'm cycling more recently some bumps in the road give me that queasy feeling you know when you just know your tyre might be going down i.e. where you're hitting the bump rather than going over it, does that make sense? However, the pressure in the back tyre is fine. The wheels have been out numerous times the last few weeks (puncture, brake pad change) but they spin fine, look level with each other but the bike lacks the smoother feel it used to have and even feels a bit rickety. Perhaps I'm paranoid?

Matt

Slick

Guru
Hi,

Is there anything that could be wrong with a back wheel to make you feel like you have a puncture when you don't have a puncture? Lol! I'll try to explain this better, when I'm cycling more recently some bumps in the road give me that queasy feeling you know when you just know your tyre might be going down i.e. where you're hitting the bump rather than going over it, does that make sense? However, the pressure in the back tyre is fine. The wheels have been out numerous times the last few weeks (puncture, brake pad change) but they spin fine, look level with each other but the bike lacks the smoother feel it used to have and even feels a bit rickety. Perhaps I'm paranoid?

Matt
I have felt like that once or twice but it was the surface. There is a couple of roads round here where the top coat of tar is starting to break up and it can sometimes feel lime your cycling over treacle.

Is the tyre seated correctly all the way around.
Sometimes the bead doesn't pop up correctly when you re-inflate the tyre.
This leaves a flat spot on the tyre.
If you do have a flat spot then either .....
Inflate to around 20 psi overpressure and hope the tyre pops up, deflate to the correct pressure if it does.
Or better still .........
Deflate the tyre and rub soft soap around the inside of the rims.
This acts as a lubricate when you re-inflate the tyre so it pops out easier.
I've a couple of wheels that I need to do this to otherwise they have a flat spot everytime I re-inflate them.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
As far as the wheel is concerned, if the tyre is OK, it could be either loose spokes or loose wheel bearings.
Can you move the rim from side to side?

The other thing that comes to mind is a cracked frame.
This would allow the rear axle to move, absorbing bumps and giving unanticipated changes of direction.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Thanks. I'm going to investigate in the morning. It just feels at moments that the bike is the sum of the parts rather than a part and it's so slight, definitely the back and not the front though. I'll revert!

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Ok. So I've twanged all the spokes, none are loose, frame's not cracked, wheels are firm and not moving sidewards, and I've taken out the inner tube and put back in slightly inflated this time taking care it's even and not caught in the bead. Alas, I'm not feeling the love to cycle today to see if it's sorted the problem due to it being freezing, maybe tomorrow!

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I have the exact same feeling you do sometimes and I am sure it is paranoia!

Check the tyre for bulges, not just in the side walls, but on the ‘meat’ of the tyre. I’ve had a couple of Continental tyres fail, and they felt like they’d punctured, when the carcass had failed. I had a GP4 seasons tyre do it to me last week.

Top Bottom