Bike upgrade.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LincsBlue

After some advise please. At the moment I use a Canondale Trail 4 mostly for on road fitness cycling with the odd bit of trails thrown in here and there and the forthcoming Caythorpe Chase. I'm looking to get a bit more adventurous and do some of the Wiggle/Evans MTB rides and anything else a bit more challenging. I'm looking at spending no more than £1100 and wouldn't mind something a bit different like a Mondraker or Orange. Would jumping up from what was a £650 bike although I got it on offer to an £1100 bike make any significant difference or would I be better pushing the boat out and upping my budget? Many thanks on advance.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
IMHO the person pedalling is the engine.
Some minimal gains can be made from wheel, frame upgrades.
I am an old fart, but no too shabby on the road. But many times I am overtaken by a youngster on a Boris bike.
I wish I hadn't said that.

Jody

Stubborn git
What do you want out of your bike, speed, comfort, handling, climbing, descending and how adventurous are you wanting to get?

Would jumping up from what was a £650 bike although I got it on offer to an £1100 bike make any significant difference or would I be better pushing the boat out and upping my budget? Many thanks on advance.

You will notice a difference in areas like suspension being more plush and tuneable, brakes offering more power and modulation, weight of the chassis and components. Hopping up to £1100 will see some benefits but not as much as you think. That said higher end bikes just seem to ride better.

OP
OP
LincsBlue

LincsBlue

What do you want out of your bike, speed, comfort, handling, climbing, descending and how adventurous are you wanting to get?

You will notice a difference in areas like suspension being more plush and tuneable, brakes offering more power and modulation, weight of the chassis and components. Hopping up to £1100 will see some benefits but not as much as you think. That said higher end bikes just seem to ride better.

Thanks for the reply. I want a good all rounder that'll withstand relatively rough ground although I'm not going to be bombing down hills in the Peak District any time soon but I will get as adventurous as a 49 year old can get as I want to push myself as far as possible. I love my Trail 4 but the forks constantly bottom out on rough ground with doesn't really reassure me, the Tektro brakes aren't the best and there's way to many gears in fact I only use the mid range whatever I'm doing with it. If it comes to it I can increase my budget at the expense of the road bike was going to get. I do quite like the Mondraker and Orange bikes but now you've got me thinking whether an £1100 bike is a big enough jump.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I'm sure you would see a big difference if you went for something like this, the geometry with the 120mm forks would probably persuade you to push your mtb riding a wee bit further, and as bits wear out you can replace them with more expensive kit. If you could run to the better fork option, and even a dropper seat post, you really would have a great bike that you could use for so many different things.

Jody

Stubborn git
now you've got me thinking whether an £1100 bike is a big enough jump.

There is plenty at the £1100 ish price bracket that will suit your needs and its almost that time of year where this years bikes will hit the sales. Places like Pauls cycles have some good deals on last years tech.

Thanks for the reply. I want a good all rounder that'll withstand relatively rough ground although I'm not going to be bombing down hills in the Peak District any time soon but I will get as adventurous as a 49 year old can get as I want to push myself as far as possible.

I would say an XC hardtail or full suss should be what you are after. Most will hit the trails fast but will also be good for climbs and flat riding.

Top Bottom