Bike Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithyboy

I currently ride a cheapo Halfords bike and am sort of thinking of upgrading it. I've read a few threads about BSOs which i imagine my current bike would be classed as but mine seems to work fine. It shifts gear when you want it to and there are no creaks, groans or clanks from it.

The main advantage I see is that something more expensive would probably be a bit lighter. However, my question really is whether I would notice this when riding bearing in mind that I am tall and not exactly skinny?

Grateful for opinions.

bonj2

like anything, does it do everything you want it to do? Or has it got some limitation that you want to overcome, e.g. you're not confident enough on technical terrain, not fast enough on the road, too bouncy when climbing, not comfy enough on long rides?
if any of those applies think what you want to do with it that you can't. If none of those applies, keep it.

OP
OP
K

keithyboy

bonj said:
like anything, does it do everything you want it to do? Or has it got some limitation that you want to overcome, e.g. you're not confident enough on technical terrain, not fast enough on the road, too bouncy when climbing, not comfy enough on long rides?
if any of those applies think what you want to do with it that you can't. If none of those applies, keep it.

The only about it which really irritates me is the god-awful screeching noise from the brakes but hopefully new blocks will cure that.

The main limitation really is me being too fat and old!

I think the only way to decide one way or another is to find a shop that'll let you test ride (if only around the block) and then see how they feel one after the other on the same road. I'm not convinced by the 'weight' argument by itself, I think it depends on a whole host of other things. That said, I'm only a beginner myself, but I know that my own bike feels vastly different with different luggage / tyres etc.

GilesM

Legendary Member
It all depends what you want to use the bike for, and whether you will be riding with other people or alone, a lighter more expensive bike will be more pleasant to ride, how much more, and what do you need, that's the difficult bit. As mentioned, go somewhere where it is possible to have a demo bike for a day, some bike shops do this, especially ones located at trail centres, some will charge with a refund if you buy the bike, others will not.

OP
OP
K

keithyboy

bonj said:
try toeing the brakes in slightly then and eating less pies.

Can I still drink beer though?

By toeing in do you mean having the front of the block touching the rim slightly before the back of it?

U

User482

Don't worry about the bike weight too much, unless you're competitive or racing. It makes naff all difference when it's got several lbs of mud sticking to it anyway.

Mr Pig

It depends how much lighter. If it's a couple of pounds or more lighter then yes, you'll notice it, especially going up hills. However, I'm a strong believer in the idea that if you like a bike you should keep it. A new bike may be lighter but have other characteristics that drive you up the wall!

Top Bottom