Bikeworld (imaginary thread)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm just back from a weekend in Cambridge, and that was pretty full of bikes! I thought York had a lot!

barq - I believe it's been said that the invention of the bicycle increased the genetic diversity of the population, because people could cycle to the next village to find a spouse instead of being on foot. So I guess diversity might still be there, but just be slower to spread...?

SamNichols

Our 'networks of influence' would narrow, and most would live somewhere close to their family as opposed to the hundreds f miles that many people would live now. Noone would travel regularly beyond about 10 miles from their homes - companies would still be building houses for their employees. Everyone's diet would be significantly different, with probably a larger amount of home farming going on. We would only eat seasonal produce, and probably most would never have seen a banana let alone eaten one. We'd eat a lot of root vegetables.
The gene pool would be fairly different, and the amount of migration would be far lower. There'd be a completely different ruling class, with probably a completely different breed of politician (think of a George Eliot novel).
Finally, there'd be a lot more working class people, with a great amount of the middle class not existing.

Big Bren

SamNichols said:
There'd be a completely different ruling class, with probably a completely different breed of politician (think of a George Eliot novel).
Finally, there'd be a lot more working class people, with a great amount of the middle class not existing.

Reason enough to move to Bikeworld - put my name down BFTB!

Bren

domtyler

Über Member
There would be a 20 mph limit on urban freeways enforced with speed cameras, or 'scameras'. I would have grown a pony tail and started up a vigilante action group, er I mean become a 'road safety expert' to fight the spread of these scameras and stand up for the right of the hard done by cyclist to choose his or her own safe speed.

barq

Arch said:
barq - I believe it's been said that the invention of the bicycle increased the genetic diversity of the population, because people could cycle to the next village to find a spouse instead of being on foot. So I guess diversity might still be there, but just be slower to spread...?

Yep, I've heard that too. I was thinking of other types of diversity. Because we can travel so far, so easily, we have much more regular contact with other cultures - even just within the UK. And actually thinking this through a bit more, without internal combustion engines the UK would probably have far less immigration and so have a different ethnic profile. Which in turn means we would have different food, music etc... I'm going off Bikeworld now! :ohmy:

Kovu

Über Member
Interstingly enough how would speed cameras work? Im sure they;d still want them?

Top Bottom