Birds egg shell ID

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
I'm not into bird eggs or bird watching, but me and my daughter found this the other week at Fountains Abbey (North Yorkshire) and I just wondered what it was from.
tmp_24965-IMAG1535-475772308.jpg

I had a quick Google but it looked like it could be Blackbird or Song Thrush possibly something else as I they all look very similar and I may have misread.

If it's not Cadbury's Cream then I'm out of my depth............

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I concur with blackbird egg, I have a pair of blackbirds nest in my garden most years. They've had one set of chicks this year and they're getting it on again already, when the weather's mild and food is abundant they'll produce two sets of chicks in a year.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
That's just Google analytics. Only a few of those images are Blackbird eggs :smile:
Blackbird eggs are a green/blue colour and look like they've been splattered with gravy.

OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
Thanks, I have no idea about birds but for some reason wouldn't have thought a blackbirds egg was so small or such a nice colour, then again I'm not to sure how big a blackbirds is close up.
Below is size next to a 3 yr olds hand
tmp_20547-IMAG1532-475772308.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Certainly a Blackbirds. I remember them from my youth, very common to find. That book is from the fifties so rather washed out. If you reckon a chicken is about four or five times the size of a blackbird it gives you a guide.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
IMG_0045.JPG
On the subject of blackbirds: I made a hanging basket and planted two chicks in it. True story.

I found a nest on a client's drive that had been shredded by a jay earlier this week. One chick was dead and the remainers were cold and hungry. Begging me for insects. I packed the nest material into a small hanging basket and climbed up the tree where I hung it in a similar place. In an hour a half, the hen was back feeding the chicks. Good deed done for the week so I can afford to be a nasty basket for a few days. Can you see both birds in the photo?

Top Bottom