Bit OT. Saving battery power in torch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
I know this is a bit off topic, but I suppose it also applies to bike lights:smile:
I have a 4D Maglite torch, and I know with the 2 cell mini's you can save the batteries running down if it stored for a while by turning one of the batteries around, thereby cutting the circuit.
But with 4 cells, will this still work if just the end one is turned? Part of me thinks intuitively yes, but there is a sneaky doubt that is wrong.
I know someone on this forum knows;) and it would be appreciated
Thanks
Rick

yes. if the batteries are connected in series

ACW

not a great idea as you will have 3 cells with 1.5v against 1 cell with 1.5v so a final voltage of 2v, if there is any current flow through the circuit 3 cells will discharge and the reversed cell will charge, not a good situation, better to turn 2 around so you have no voltage left so no current, same situation as the 2 cell mini

Coco

Stick a piece of card between two of the batteries.

Edit: Although having said that, surely thats the point of the switch?

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Thanks for that. Not sure I entirely understand the technicalities ACW, but sounds logical, and more than willing to accept it as my electrical knowledge is poor. I have to say, after posting, I thought much the same as Coco - 'surely thats the point of the switch?', so it probably isn't that much of a problem. Just trying to cover myself as, although the torch stays put away for a long time, just when you need it...... you find the switch has been depressed Aah!
Thanks again

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Mainly cos when you need the torch it will be immediate and probably when its dark. You then need to remember where you put the batteries, find them and put them in, in the dark... For normal use (removing slugs at night etc) then I see your point, but this particular torch I was putting aside for emergencies.

Top Bottom