Bizarre Evans Spam for SimplyCook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So I bought from Evans at some point (a cateye bracket I think) and I keep getting their marketing emails which sometimes have useful discount codes in them.

But this weekend I got an email with all their usual preamble and postscript which seemed completely unrelated to Evans or cycling, but was a introduction offer from some overpriced food delivery service (or something) called "SimplyCook". You know the sort of thing: first N orders are cheap but then we've got your credit card details and will keep sending unless you tell us to stop by some cumbersome process and even then we'll keep pestering you afterwards.

Did anyone else get this? Is there some link between the two companies? Do you think it's legit? Did you like it? I'm very tempted to unsubscribe and that means I'm unlikely to buy from Evans again as there's not one locally and they're very rarely better than other online shops.

It's quite easy to cook with spam.
th

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I went into Evans in Leicester (only cos it'd just opened and I fancied a butchers) and ended up buying a pair of gloves and some new pedals. They asked for my e-mail address so I lied and told them I didn't use computers, glad I did now.

Tin Pot

Guru
So I bought from Evans at some point (a cateye bracket I think) and I keep getting their marketing emails which sometimes have useful discount codes in them.

But this weekend I got an email with all their usual preamble and postscript which seemed completely unrelated to Evans or cycling, but was a introduction offer from some overpriced food delivery service (or something) called "SimplyCook". You know the sort of thing: first N orders are cheap but then we've got your credit card details and will keep sending unless you tell us to stop by some cumbersome process and even then we'll keep pestering you afterwards.

Did anyone else get this? Is there some link between the two companies? Do you think it's legit? Did you like it? I'm very tempted to unsubscribe and that means I'm unlikely to buy from Evans again as there's not one locally and they're very rarely better than other online shops.

Forward it to their support address and ask them.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Evans is one of those places I tend to avoid. Returning something is really a pain and their prices are nearly always the most expensive.

I recently bought a Road derailleur that can be used with MTB shifters on a road bike. It said soiled so 25% off. When I got it I realised straight away that it was of much inferior quality than the one I already have. Further investigation revealed that Shimano do an inferior quality one that retails at 30% less. Returning it was a real pain.

I only went there for the 25% saving which turned out to be a lie. Most people that had never seen the better quality item would have been happy with the saving made. I think it was dishonest from Evans.
I always give disposable email addresses when I have to register with retailers and as soon as I conclude the business I stop getting their spams.

Last edited:
Top Bottom