Black gunge - there's no end to it...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

- Baz -

Lubed my newish chain at the weekend using Finish Line wet and the Mickle method. Checking the chain each evening it's always covered in black gunge, even in the dry. So I wipe most of it off. Next evening, more black gunge has appeared as if by magic.
ohmy.gif
So, a couple of questions:

1 Why is there always more grinding paste black gunge on the chain than the oil I applied (sparingly)?
mad.gif
Is it just another bane of the cyclists life like p******es, squeaks and clicks that are still there after a full strip down and rebuild, and idiot drivers?

2 Should I be wiping it off (PITA every day) or leaving it on?

Your picking up dust, grit, etc from the road, which mixes with the oil to form the paste.
If its going to be a dry ride, try useing a dry chain lube.
That way the crud from the road wont have anything to stick to.
If its going to be a wet ride, then a wet chain lube may be a better bet than a dry one to keep your chain lubed.

Luck ....... :biggrin:

kewb

the oil on your rag might be enough to clean chain it might be the case that your just diluting debris down by adding more ,

try a few dry wipes to start with or use oily rag then switch to clean rag , finally use some oil to clean that should be all but to tell the truth it can be time consuming  to get a shiny chain a small brush for the rollers helps ,

or you could remove the chain and wash it but that reeks of hard work to me .

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Best not to worry about it. Better too much lube than not enough, especially when it's raining.
It's probably no where near as bad a grinding paste as you think it is.

Davidc

Guru
The gunge on the outside of the chain doesn't do much harm. There are no contacting surfaces there for it to harm, or in need of lubrication.

The bit that needs lubrication is where adjacent links move against one another and transmit the force from one to the next. That's inside, where the pin goes through the hollow bit.

Other than rust prevention all lube on the outside does is collect gunge. After wiping try to oil each link individualy and carefully place the oil so it goes into the interior. Enough will creep around to do the anti-rust function.

Take a look at Sheldon Brown and Bicycle Tutor as well, they explain things better than I do and have pictures.

Wiping the gunge off won't alter the amount of lube where it matters because you can't wipe that. My experience would suggest wiping the gunk off with a rag daily until it dies down, and not re-lubing more than once a week, but Mickle and others might have other ideas for you.

tyred

Legendary Member
 I would just clean it off the best you can with an oily rag. Don't resort to white spirits or petrol or anything of the sort as you will have a nice clean chain with no lubrication on the inside where it really matters. 

Top Bottom