Bling my Butler.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I use my Claude Butler Levante for my 30 odd mile commute and I've devided to treat myself to a pair of new wheels. I want something lighter than the stock Rigida Novas that are on it at present.

So, I've seen Mavic Aksiums mentioned on here more than once and I've three questions for you guys:
  1. Will my Shimano 8 speed fit the rear wheel?
  2. Are they a worthwhile upgrade as regards weight loss? (The bike, not me)
  3. Should I just buy them because they'll look good? ;)
Ta,
AM.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
1/ Yes
2/ Yes
3/ Yes

RedBike

Yes
Not really
Yes

The askiums are very good wheels but they're not the that light. 870/985 is actually quite heavy for road wheels. They will nodoubt feel lighter than your current Novas though.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I will preface this by saying that I've not ridden "better" wheels, but the Aksiums felt like a major upgrade to my SCR2.0's Alex DA22 wheels.

OP
OP
Absinthe Minded
Oh, two more things:

They're listed as road wheels, my bike's a hybrid - but they'll fit, yes? I have 700C's at the mo - and these are listed as
ETRTO size: 622x15c.

Also, do I need spacers or anything for the shimano block?

Cheers,
AM.

yenrod

RedBike said:
Yes
Not really
Yes

The askiums are very good wheels but they're not the that light. 870/985 is actually quite heavy for road wheels. They will nodoubt feel lighter than your current Novas though.

Red - yet again your advice is not great (and debateable): most wheels are the same weight, the only deal that makes things low in weight is Carbon Wheels!..

Or a VERY light rim alu. rim with a Ti hub etc...!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Check the spacing at the rear - road bikes are generally 130mm, MTBs are 135mm. It'd be worth popping the wheel out and having a look at your existing bike's spacing. Have a look on Sheldon Brown's site at "Frame Spacing", that describes quite clearly how to measure it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't forget to make sure the wheels come with the spacer for 8 speed cassettes - it should do, but quite often, especially in shops, they get knicked.

I've got Aksiums and Ksyriums in use at the moment. Both good wheels, great bearings and are tough - I'm not too fussed about the weight - not the lightest, but not the heavyest and well worth the money. - Slap on some good tyres and they will be fast !

OP
OP
Absinthe Minded
Excellent, thank you, all.

Now, fossy - what tyres do you recommend? What ones are you using? There's such a choice that I don't know where to start. I've always bought cheapos, so never really looked into anything decent.

Ta,
AM.

Top Bottom