Bloat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earth

I weigh about 70kgs am 170cm tall and age 34. I can grab an inch or so of spare tyre around my waste but I don't really consider myself to be fat.

When I'm more active on the bike my weight hovers around 65kgs and when super active it drops to around 62 kgs.

But I've noticed no matter what my weight I always have a bloated gut.

This morning I have eaten a bowl of All Bran, two cheese rolls and drank about .5 pint orange squash.

Now I look like I am 4 months pregnant.

What causes a stomach to go like a ballon and what can I do about it? The only time I ever see it flat is if I am super fit and have been out on a long ride. But it still ballons afterwards.

OP
OP
E

earth

After the flood of responses I looked up the condition on a web doctor site. It suggested intolerance to a food type and said the main culprits are wheat and dairy products. Which is exactly what I ate. Now I have to avoid my favourite food which is cheese sandwiches.

OP
OP
E

earth

After the flood of responses I looked up the condition on a web doctor site. It suggested intolerance to a food type and said the main culprits are wheat and dairy products. Which is exactly what I ate. Now I have to avoid my favourite food which is cheese sandwiches.

But I think it's just as likely to be weak abs and the occasional curry night with work. If I go out on one of those I avoid a starters and naan breads. But I guess my stomach has stretched already.

OP
OP
E

earth

I carried on reading and IBS came up :sad:

The symptoms sound familiar and it apparently affects busy people (stress) between late teens and 50's. Now that I think back it did start in my late teens (although that could have been because I started drinking beer) and I am quite a busy person.

Then I started reading around of the effects of serotonin on appetite and found something interesting but off topic.

Serotonin reduces appetite by inhibiting dopamine. Serotonin is produced when the ratio of tryptophan to phenylalanine and leucine increases.
That artificial sweetener that I avoid - Aspartame is of course 'a source of phenylalanine'. Therefore I propose increasing phenylalanine reduces the a ratio to tryptophan thus inhibiting serotonin production thus increasing appetite. Another reason to avoid 'diet' drinks.

ventoux50

Why not go and ask the doctor for his opinion ??

theres a good chance you'll get an accurate diagnosis, and as a bonus won't scare yourself witless reading internet sites and imagining you've got all thats going !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
earth, male or female ?

roscco

I carried on reading and IBS came up :sad:

The symptoms sound familiar and it apparently affects busy people (stress) between late teens and 50's. Now that I think back it did start in my late teens (although that could have been because I started drinking beer) and I am quite a busy person.

Then I started reading around of the effects of serotonin on appetite and found something interesting but off topic.

Serotonin reduces appetite by inhibiting dopamine. Serotonin is produced when the ratio of tryptophan to phenylalanine and leucine increases.
That artificial sweetener that I avoid - Aspartame is of course 'a source of phenylalanine'. Therefore I propose increasing phenylalanine reduces the a ratio to tryptophan thus inhibiting serotonin production thus increasing appetite. Another reason to avoid 'diet' drinks.

You should still be able to have your cheese sandwiches but use Brown Bread, shouldnt bloat you as much and goes through quicker!
I couldnt give them up..lol

Top Bottom