BLT firewire 4.0 front light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Excellent light for 'see-where-you're-going' commuting as opposed to just 'be-seen'. Perfect for what I bought it for which was road riding on pitch black country lanes back from work in winter.

takes 4 AA batteries in a 'stick' type battery pack.

£70 on crc: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=13350

to give you an idea of the size, the outer diameter of the front of the headlight is about 30mm.

pics:
13092008097.jpg

13092008098.jpg

about a year old perfect working condition.

I have replaced the crappy plastic nut on the handlebar mount with a metal washer and nut.
I am also including a bracket which is perfect for a bottle-cage mounting, just replace the short bottle cage bolt with a longer one of the same thread. With this at the bottom of the stick and a cable-tie further up, the battery pack is held on very securely, and you can still use a bottle cage and bottle, aswell as being able to get the batteries out and replace them as they come out of the bottom end. You can see this bracket on the bottom of the battery pack in the picture.

after £40 posted.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

'cos i don't need it, i might aswell use my ayups for commuting

OP
OP
B

bonj2

no. they're a bit crap to be honest. BLT firewires are just as bright and you can pick them up second hand for a lot cheaper.

derosa

Ignore bonj. He thinks that mudguards are useless, and new species of fish can evolve over dinner.

He's wrong.

How wrong?
The Ayup Roadie set is £149. This is right on the limit of what I can afford. I won't be able to shell out again if they're not up to the job.

Thanks.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Sorry,

I cycle an unlit canal towpath on my commute in the winter. I used to do it with an EL530 and a BLT Ozone 21ne. I couldn't safely ride over 10mph, and even below this it was difficult to see where the leaves stopped and the water started. Pretty dicey.

With the Ayups I have enough light not to limit my speed (not that I'd ride too fast in these conditions anyway). I can see everything within riding distance very clearly. People I've ridden up behind have been able to see much more from my lights helping them, and most days I get comments about how bright they are.

THANKS VERY MUCH.:smile: he was about to buy it then! :wacko:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

christ has your sense of humour's battery gone flat or something?

bonj said:
no. they're a bit crap to be honest. BLT firewires are just as bright and you can pick them up second hand for a lot cheaper.
= joke!

He asks 'are ayups any good', which i thought was a tongue in cheek question given that it was on a classified's thread of me selling a possible alternative light, so I gave a what i thought was an equally if not more tongue in cheek reply!
did the 'you can pick them up second hand much cheaper' not strike you as a bit too obvious?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Seemed fairly obviously a joke (and a funny one) to me too...

Bonj, might be worth doing some beam shots, as reviews of the firewire lights on line seem few and far between.

beancounter

I'm interested in your light bonj but reading the chain reaction site it says you only get 3 hours light out of 4 batteries - is this what you found? I don't know anything about lights but this doesn't seem very much, is it about normal for this sort of light?

Cheers

bc

OP
OP
B

bonj2

beancounter said:
I'm interested in your light bonj but reading the chain reaction site it says you only get 3 hours light out of 4 batteries - is this what you found? I don't know anything about lights but this doesn't seem very much, is it about normal for this sort of light?

Cheers

bc

I can't remember really, probably at least - more like about 3-4 hours, but when do you do more than 4 hours rides at night anyway? Well if you do you'll just have to take some spare batteries or stop off at a shop and buy some, they're not exactly big and heavy.
Anyhow i've sold it now on ebay so you're too late. Should have dipped your bread while the candle was hot.

beancounter

bonj said:
I can't remember really, probably at least - more like about 3-4 hours, but when do you do more than 4 hours rides at night anyway? Well if you do you'll just have to take some spare batteries or stop off at a shop and buy some, they're not exactly big and heavy.
Anyhow i've sold it now on ebay so you're too late. Should have dipped your bread while the candle was hot.

Well excuse me for expressing an interest.

Do have a pleasant day.

bc

Top Bottom