Blue big toe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone advise on this problem I have. The last few times I've been out on the bike in this current cold weather I have returned home to find the big toe on my right foot either white or in the case of yesterday blue:ohmy:
This is despite having on 2 pairs of socks (1 thin, 1 thicker merino wool), shoes and neoprene overshoes.

There is no pain and my toe usually returns to normal after about 45mins to an hour.

Could this be down to a circulation problem and could it potentially cause long term damage?

montage

God Almighty
Have you been bitten by a smurf recently?

Ravenz

jimboalee said:
Go to the quack.

You might have Renaulds.

cheery thought for his weekend "gangrene" ;)
more likely toes saying I dont wanna ride in cold weather;)
mine do, so I don't...

Noodley

I get that with some of my fingers and toes. It probably has some medical term and is more than likely caused by cycling vibration and exposure to cold.

But 'hey-ho' and all that. Just one of those things I suppose.

It's a bit of a bugger when the fingers don't move properly when changing gears and braking.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
With Reynauld - your digit goes white and numb, very stiff. You are aware that its cold but definitely loss of sensation... you know all about it when the circulation returns.... (I've found alcohol is good at dilating the blood vessels:biggrin:)

jimboalee

Sorry, that's Raynaud's syndrome. ;)

I should have known how to spell it, I had it a couple of years back.

If I remember what the quack said, it can be blue.;)

Noodley

summerdays said:
With Reynauld - your digit goes white and numb, very stiff. You are aware that its cold but definitely loss of sensation... you know all about it when the circulation returns.... (I've found alcohol is good at dilating the blood vessels:biggrin:)

That's it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've had it since I was a kid ... I remember having it as a teenager and would use it to get out of swimming (in the outdoor pool), I would just show my white finger/toe and be immediately told to get inside into the showers.

The only time I haven't suffered with it is when I was pregnant - as your blood volumes increase it kept the blood vessels open.

I suffer every winter (occasionally rarely in the summer - swimming in a cold sea for example), its important to keep my core temp up ... and wrists, ankles and head warm. I often wear 2 pairs of gloves and socks, occasionally 3! And I carry those hand warmer things too. I can loose the circulation for upto an hour if I am not careful. I am much better at controlling it now with clothing and hot drinks (and alcohol only once I'm home and it doesn't return).

Top Bottom