BMI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ellis456

Should this grapth be taken with a pinch of salt?, im 5ft 11 and have just bought a set of electric scales, my weight non clothed today is 10.36 stone, yesterday 10.4 stone. Now according to that chart im in the ok but if I dipped to 10 im now underweight?. most of my body is muslcle(I weightlift and cycle) as I work out a lot, I dont look skinny yet theres not any fat on me if you know what I mean.

So is this chart garabge?.

bmi-chart.gif

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
BMI is a crude measure at best, and it is known for being inaccurate for athletic people. Rugby players tend to come out as obese because of the muscle mass.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Look at the thickness of your wrists, this is a guide to what kind of body you have. Thick wristed people tend to be able to put on more muscle mass. Skinny people (like me) can't - without resorting to drugs.

BMI is a useful tool for doctors to get people at extremes to get back in to line. At 5'11" and 10 stone I'd suggest getting someone else to offer an opinion, as people tend to see what they want to see. Good muscle definition happens on a body with little fat. It's not the same as being muscular.

lulubel

Über Member
That looks like a 20 to 25 BMI chart, which isn't the correct one, anyway. The healthy BMI range is 18.5 to 25.

But, as mcshroom says, the BMI measurement is definitely crude. A lot of perfectly fit and healthy sports people come out under- or overweight according to the BMI scale. It's more of a guide for the general population, who don't do much, if anything, in the way of exercise.

Top Bottom