Boardman Brand Review – for all those C2W & I need a new bike folk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nick.b

Boardman Brand Review – for all those C2W & I need a new bike folk.

Over the year’s I’ve read 100’s of questions, comments and why people love or hate them, so I thought having owned a few of them id share my thoughts and hopefully add a reference for people to read when they want to know more.

Boardman we can only buy in Halfords, this isn’t the same for the rest of the world so in the UK the brand gets Auto-Flamed by people that have never ridden them. They are also referred to as a sub-par brand, below Specialized, Scott, Giant and the likes, This I think is a little unfair, do a bit of googling and look up who works/ has worked for Boardman and where else they have worked before/after.

Please note, I’ve rated these bikes based on their value vs other bikes in that bracket, not compared to each other.

Boardman Comp (Road Bike)

My 1st Boardman, cost about £600, Alu frame, was impressive spec for the money are road nice, everything about the bike was smooth and made me want to ride it, in terms of build quality, this bike was hit by a car at 60mph and it survived with just a buckled wheel.

Comfort:7.5/10 (its Alu, I can’t rate it higher just because I’ve ridden carbon and Titanium)
Value:10/10 (cost about £600)
Handling:8/10
Looks: 9/10
Build quality:9/10

Boardman Team (Hybrid)

Now about 3 years old it’s just a good as the the day it was born, the bike feels responsive when sat on the saddle but get your arse off the seat and this bike wants to go, it makes you never want to sit down, just ride it hard and grin while you do.

Comfort:8/10
Value:9/10 (cost about £750)
Looks: 9/10

Boardman Pro Carbon (Road Bike)

Oh, it’s like Westwood just went all “pimp my ride” over my old Alu road bike, its smooth & fun, granted at £1300 - £1500 you need some confidence in the brand but the carbon frame, fizik seat, full 105 and mavic wheels for that price is hard to complain about, although the 1st thing I did was upgrade the wheelset.

Comfort:9/10
Value:9/10 (£1000-1500 dependant on spec/year)
Looks: 10/10

There are 2 factors I feel are the main issues with Boardman’s, Halfords staff know nothing about bikes for the most part, you might get lucky in your local but id seriously consider taking your shiny new bike to a LBS for a once over if you know little about bikes.

The second factor is wheels, I don’t think any of these bikes come with amazing wheel sets, but it’s nice to have a decent group set and just have 1 thing to upgrade.

I have owned and / or ridden most of the road bikes available in the average bike shop from specialized to treks to the more obscure Ti brands, I know haven’t ridden a touch on all the bikes available to buy but I think I can safely comment having covered some miles.

In Summery

Yes I hate Halfords too, yes sometimes I wish they weren’t sold there so my bike doesn’t get looked down on but, having ridden all this year’s bikes I chose to buy another Boardman, not because it was better value for money but because it’s a great bike, although I will always wonder why a specialized Roubaix comes with a spec id expect to see on a bike half its value.

On a side note my current bikes are a Van Nicholas Yukon, Boardman Carbon Road Bike, Boardman Team Hybrid and a HT Kona, so im not just a Boardman fanboy.

Please feel free to message me or reply to this thread but also please keep it constructive, if you had a good or bad experience with them then please say why.I havn't ridden there suspension MTB range so i havn't talked about those, I may come back and update the individual reviews with more info if there is a demand.

RAYMOND

I also have the boardman comp road bike and team hybrid.. love both but mostly ride the roadbike.
Never had any problems with it,never had to take it back to Halfords not even for the 6 month check up.
So although Halfords have a bad service assistant record I haven't experienced it as I just took the bike out the shop and
never went back..(I paid for the bikes )
Iv'e just bought a bianchi from evans so early days yet..but one things for sure..if I ever buy any more bikes in future
there most likely to be boardmans..though as chris boardman as just sold his rights to Halfords I shall be
keeping a eye out so they don't lower the standard of the great spec you get with the bikes.

OP
OP
N

nick.b

..though as chris boardman as just sold his rights to Halfords I shall be
keeping a eye out so they don't lower the standard of the great spec you get with the bikes.

i ment to touch on this, and agreed, they will be worth monitering, but the company is being run as a seperate entity so hopefully it will keep up the good work.

noodle

other bike shops take the c2w work vouchers

i know thatto cycles in st helens does
a quick google throws up leisure lakes, cookson cycles......
i went looking at some boardmans at the lower end as a runabout (bought the giant instead) the one i looked at boardman performance hybrid at 400 quid seemed ok all looked nice and shiney but, and its a few buts
brakes way out of kilter (not a problem to sort myslef but im paying i shouldnt have to do that)
bars not centered in the stem again as above
some swarf left on the drop out ok if it comes out of the factory thats fine but when its being assembled c'mon 10 seconds with a file

now take anyone just buying a bike on the c2w scheme who dont have the faintest idea about bikes other than pedal pull the brakes to stop...
not good i only spent a few minutes looking at it so possibly more problems were lurking

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nick.b

yeah, it is well established that halfords are terrible, but it will cost £10 for a basic look over from my lbs, which is a big company, discounting these bikes for the sake of a tenner is sad imo, but yes i agree, it shouldnt have to be done at all. if only they would employ people that knew something about anything

Big Nick

I have a 2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp and really rate it, it's got a great turn of speed, is light, very well made, has decent components and looks fantastic in white and blue.

The best thing was I got it for £400 brand new which was the discounted price for the outgoing one after the 2013 I originally ordered was damaged in transit.

noodle

yeah, it is well established that halfords are terrible, but it will cost £10 for a basic look over from my lbs, which is a big company, discounting these bikes for the sake of a tenner is sad imo, but yes i agree, it shouldnt have to be done at all. if only they would employ people that knew something about anything

true but the average buyer from halfords will not be thinking of that. they will go get on that bike with the bars not right and ride

not good tbh potentially a fairly good product let down by people in store and worse potentially a very dangerous flaw at that

Top Bottom