Boardman ready for TT season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
fitted the TT bars to the boardman this week...

ttbars001-1.jpg

ttbars009-1.jpg

frank9755

Cyclist
Well done, but I read the title of your post to mean that Chris was coming out of retirement to get his record back, rather than that you'd fettled your bike!

Good luck with your races!

Garz

Squat Member
I got some bar system to attach but the boardman ritchey bars have an enlarged central part at the headset meaning the clamp system is too small and to fit it nearer the bar tape would be way off centre. Any ideas other than to get a different bar altogether?

Will1985

Über Member
jig-sore - are you going to cut off the back end of the bars? Once you've found your position you don't need it anymore. How about some pics of you on the bike in TT position?

Garz - common problem when you have oversize handlebars. You could have a go putting them as close to the centre as possible, otherwise I suggest Deda Parabolica clip-ons. The aim isn't to get your elbows and hands as close together as possible. You don't want to close off your chest and feel uncomfortable.

OP
OP
jig-sore

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
@ Garz: not really.

the boardman bars are 31.8mm and these were bought to suit. they came with shims for smaller bars.

yes, they would be too far out on the smaller section :sad:

only thing you could do is to have the clamps machined out to suit, if there is enough metal to play with. sadly not many people have access to a milling machine like me. :sad:

these were only £42 from a place called "Derek cycles on line" via e-bay

OP
OP
jig-sore

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
jig-sore - are you going to cut off the back end of the bars? Once you've found your position you don't need it anymore. How about some pics of you on the bike in TT position?

very possibly, but apparently it takes time to "learn" a good position so im sure they will be moved before long. but at the moment things are very close when climbing out of the saddle !!!! :ohmy:

i'll try and get some pics next weekend, gotta practise the starts/gear selection with an assistant :becool:

iLB

Hello there
i'll try and get some pics next weekend, gotta practise the starts/gear selection with an assistant :becool:

do you mean the bit where they hold you up at the start? I remember the first club TT I did,some bloke grabbed my seatpost and I was like wtf- just stood there with one foot unclipped and wobbled away at the start :rofl:

Garz

Squat Member
LOL love the street hawk tune-age!

Edit -

At first play I thought you were scalped by a commuter..

:laugh:

But in reality you used him as your Hare!

OP
OP
jig-sore

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
the guy in front was my "minute man".

he was riding a boardman (makes him a smart bloke then) fixed (and bloody brave). :becool:

OP
OP
jig-sore

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
fitted new tyres today after running my first TT with a gash in the rear tyre, leaving the inner-tube visible.

luckily it lasted the race but went pop on the way home, so thats my confidence in them tyres gone after only 800 miles

tt3003.jpg

went for something cheap and cheerful and hopefully a bit longer lasting. Schwalbe blizzard sports in yellow. not sure of the colour but they were on sale...

yellow005-1.jpg

yellow007-1.jpg

Garz

Squat Member
I have used them last winter and found them to be a great all weather tyre. I then used one on the turbo and wore it out but for the price was well worth it.

Probably not the best choice for the height of summer days mind you.

OP
OP
jig-sore

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
im sure your right Garz, but then im not really trying to set it up just for time trials. my main thing with the club is the weekend rides so im trying to find a middle ground between my "ever lasting" commute tyres and my 800 mile originals.

with a full time commute and long weekend rides in my legs, im never going to be a top TT rider, but i enjoy joining in :becool:

the bike is a compromise between cost, speed and reliability :biggrin:

Top Bottom