Boardman Urban 8.9 - Problem with gears breaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VikkiG

Hi all,

I have picked up a brand new Boardman urban 8.9 last Wednesday and found that the gear kept on breaking randomly whilst cycling. The gears the bike has is Shimano Nexus 8 Speed Hub Gear. The issue is the hexagon part attached to the gear hub (Pictures attached as I am not sure on the names) keeps falling out of place when I am cycling. It seems like the part where it is meant to slot into is not tight enough however, there does not seem to be any way of tightening it.

Has anyone had a similar issues with this bike or this type of a gear?

It's quite frustrating as it means I have to keep stopping to fix the gear as it's simply too loose to pedal otherwise.

Many thanks in advance!

Here is what happens when the gears loosen and I am not able to switch between gears or cycle as the bike has zero resistance

Here is a picture of how it looks when the gears work well and I can cycle even on the lowest gear.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
You need to take it straight back to the shop or if bought online take it to a local shop who can take a look.

Sixmile

Veteran
Hi all,

I have picked up a brand new Boardman urban 8.9 last Wednesday and found that the gear kept on breaking randomly whilst cycling. The gears the bike has is Shimano Nexus 8 Speed Hub Gear. The issue is the hexagon part attached to the gear hub (Pictures attached as I am not sure on the names) keeps falling out of place when I am cycling. It seems like the part where it is meant to slot into is not tight enough however, there does not seem to be any way of tightening it.

Has anyone had a similar issues with this bike or this type of a gear?

It's quite frustrating as it means I have to keep stopping to fix the gear as it's simply too loose to pedal otherwise.

Many thanks in advance!

View attachment 590411
Here is what happens when the gears loosen and I am not able to switch between gears or cycle as the bike has zero resistance

View attachment 590412
Here is a picture of how it looks when the gears work well and I can cycle even on the lowest gear.

View attachment 590413

Late seeing this. I'd a urb 8.8 i think with alfine 8 which done my head in, after numerous returns to halfords, I sold it on during the first lockdown. Does your handlebar make contact with the top tube if it spins round? That was a major annoyance for me, especially as it scored the frame :angry: although the initial scratch by Halfords got me 10% off it

Top Bottom