Bob jackson tandem 1980 model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
We bought a Bob Jackson tandem 4 years ago.It was lingering in the guys garage we bought it from for 10 years or so and was a bit of wreck but we paid 400 quid for it as we were told it was worth it just for the frame alone as it was a Bob Jackson...Anyway we sent it off to Bob Jacksons in Leeds for respray and our LBS did a fab job putting it back together with sti gearing new tyres mudguards pedals etc and had looking like new..It is now lurking in our garage doing nowt but i'm loathe to sell it but am curious about its value...anyone know the price of good conditioned tandems? just curious

Attachments

• 10-25-2011 11;43;12AM.jpg
    10-25-2011 11;43;12AM.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 349

Norm

Loving that! :becool:

I can't help with the value but still, that is lovely!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. These things probably come to the market so rarely that there's no fixed price, but you could take a look at the Tandem Club website for some ideas.

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Veteran
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. These things probably come to the market so rarely that there's no fixed price, but you could take a look at the Tandem Club website for some ideas.
Tandem club is where i spotted it for sale.Had to go to Dundee for it which was the nearest place to us anyone was selling one which wasn't too bad and it just fitted in the back of our car with front wheel off.Had a look on their site today and there is one for sale for 4950 quid !! I reckon ours could fetch between 1000/1500 quid.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
+ 1 re comment on its worth what ever somebody will pay

but in reality your 1000/1500 is a good insurane vaue

argonsixar

2 years ago I paid £500 for an Imperial tandem, apparently built by Barry Chick in early 80s and recently refurbed by Shorters. It has TA crossover drive and shortish wheelbase. I run it on 6 or 7 speed as it isnt really set for anything wider on the back.

Incidentally took it out for its first bash this morning. There's nothing like blasting past your clubmates at 40MPH on a blustery day !!

I have had offers in the £600 range a couple of times.

Darren Jarman

Hi Herbie. I have almost the same question as you originally posted. I have a 1984 Bob Jackson Tandem. Possibly not as good condition as yours but never the less, a great bike. I was thinking of selling it but I have no idea what it would be worth. What do you recon?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Twin lateral frames, even with the laterals doubled up, do not make the most rigid frame. They are, however, cheaper to build than frames with proper tubes mitred in. For the best, most rigid frames, look for marathon (tube from headtube to rear seat-tube, continuing as stays to dropouts) or lateral (tube to rear bottom bracket) or, if it's a big frame, possibly double-marathon (lateral plus marathon tube starting from front seat cluster). Having said that, twin-lateral frames are okay for pootling about, or even light touring if you don't mind a bit of flex.

alanf1968

Regular
I am on my third tandem, as the folks say its what an individual will pay, it has to fit a proposed rider and stoker, they are big bulky, expensive things that not everyone can afford or take to, my first was a Dawes Galaxy bought new and was sold when kids came along and was going to be out of use for a considerable time,at a big loss, the second was an impulse purchase, old handbuilt needed a bit of investment, but a hardly used KHS was available at half of its new price, ebay returned us a profit on tandem number 2. The Bob Jackson name always seems to attract strong money on ebay, if you were looking to sell, I would try the CTC forum

Top Bottom