Bob trailer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have a bob trailer which is a bit old and tatty now which I would like to use on my newish Brompton 6 spd.Has anyone tried a single wheel trailer on a Brompton? I have suitable bob nuts but am a bit nervous as to whether the bike will stand the strain of this type of trailer. I know that some have used two wheel trailers but never heard of a single wheel one being used.

This is from a tricycle point of view, but I hope will make sense

They are banned by some recumbent bike manufacturers because they cannot tip and put stress on the rear triangle

On a two wheel trike this does not cause an issue.. however in my mind if you tip the trailer from a left to right tilt it must put some stress on the rear triangle and this would be concentrated at the hinge.

You will probably be OK, but it is worth thinking about

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Never tried a single wheel trailer but a Birdy & 2 wheel Burley trailer combo served me well for a good few years with 2 kids and then as a shopping cart.

I even tipped it over once with no ill effect to the bike or hitch mechanism.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have seen a bob trailer behind a recumbent tadpole trike which I think would be ok but the strain on the rear triangle of a Brompton does concern me a bit.I found that a mountain bike or hybrid was ok but a lighter road bike seemed a bit of a handful. I think I may try selling the bob and getting a carry freedom but still not sure. Thanks for your input anyway

Top Bottom