BOINC and SETI@Home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Does anyone here run BOINC on their computer ?

(For those not familiar, BOINC is a way of using idle time on your computer to compute stuff like Search Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence , folding proteins , etc...)

I have done about 150,000 work units :biggrin:

Andrew

lozcs

Guru
Does anyone here run BOINC on their computer ?

(For those not familiar, BOINC is a way of using idle time on your computer to compute stuff like Search Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence , folding proteins , etc...)

I have done about 150,000 work units :biggrin:

Andrew

I'm not using those but have been running prime95 for a number of years - once helped track a stolen laptop as the thief used it on his network at home and I saw that prime95 had logged onto the server - just gave the IP address to the police and 1 week later got it back - oh and the duty manager at work got the sack :-(

mr Mag00

rising member
used to run seti but the computer is rarely idle and if so then gets turned off and buncum to those who say it is wrong to turn pcs on and off

Shaun

Founder
I use BOINC (and there's still a PC at my old workplace processing units without their knowledge [I left there four years ago!!] ... lol).

I did SETI for years and still get my Christmas card from UC Berkeley, but have recently changed over to Rosetta which is looking for protiens to help fight major diseases like malaria and cancer:

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Top Bottom