bolt thru jammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paxterg

Veteran
Rear bolt thru unscrews at the drive side but wont come out at the other end! have lubricated both sides. has anyone any suggestions other than hitting it a whack.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What does it screw into, frame, bolt ? Does in turn ? If you've undone it, make sure the bike is on the floor if you can't pull it out. Don't start whacking them. The weight of the wheel could make it difficult to pull out.

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
It screw into the frame (carbon) It clicks when it reaches it full and pushes the opposite seat and chain stays outwards so I'm guessing its stuck on the non drive side!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sounds like the locking nut for the hub bearing is loose and winding out, spreading the chainstay as the axle turns.

Can you get two nuts locked together on the side of the axle you've already got off so you can hold it still while you wind off the troublesome nut on the other side...?

EDIT: Probably got my wires crossed as I though were were talking about old-school nutted axles.. are you talking about a more modern through-axle with a thread on one end and locking cam lever on the other side?

If anyone else is as confused as I am some pics might help :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
None of my MTB through axels click. - you tighten them until you feel them go tight (never over tighten), then flip the QR lever. My MTB has a nut on the drive side, and MrsF's has a 'captive nut' in the frme on hers. The fron't screw direct into the Rockshox forks, but none click.

Unscrew by hand then just pull. If it's spinning, and coming 'out' on the non-drive side, then something is catching. Not got dirt or grit in there - something you need to keep clean on an MTB.
There is probably a very good reason Rockshox make their through bolts with cheese - you've got to be careful you don't damage them - they aren't that robust considering what job they are doing on a suspension fork - the QR's get damaged if you are ham fisted.

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
It is a modern MTB bolt thru, it comes out the drive side but not the non drive side which causes the frame to splay outwards. It will spin and make a clicking sound. I have tried pulling it but no luck!

Top Bottom