Bont shoes heat moulding pitfalls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reacher

I will be getting some bont shoes this week I understand the heat moulding process in principle , are their any pitfalls to be aware of when putting the shoes in the oven , ie should they stand on a metal tray , should I remove any of the plastic parts etc . Can you over heat the shoes , thanks

ziggys101

Über Member
I will be getting some bont shoes this week I understand the heat moulding process in principle , are their any pitfalls to be aware of when putting the shoes in the oven , ie should they stand on a metal tray , should I remove any of the plastic parts etc . Can you over heat the shoes , thanks

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kwa7A3YcZQ

e-rider

crappy member
A friend of mine put his new Bont shoes in the oven and the glue melted - he did it at less than the stated temp too. The cleat screws also went straight through the bottom of the sole too. Bont and the retailer both washed their hands of both problems. He wasn't impressed with Bont shoes! IMO SIDI make great cycling shoes.

Citius

I would strongly recommend buying an oven thermometer (decent ones available at any houseware shop), as typical oven controls are not nearly accurate enough. You don't need to remove any other parts of the shoes as (assuming you follow the instructions correctly) the temperature will not be nearly high enough to actually melt anything. Obviously you can overheat the shoes if you do not follow the instructions. But that's what the instructions are there for.

Bonts are awesome shoes. Even more awesome once they are moulded.

I was a bit scared to heat mine in case i damaged them... so i didnt.
They were a bit tight around the achilles to start with but after a few rides they felt fine.
So i think i've broken mine in rather than mould them.

Adam4868

Guru
Got some Bont shoes myself but never molded them as they are comfy as they are.The benefit is it holds to the shape of your feet ,personally like them as they are quite a wide fitting and really stiff.You can heat/mold as many times as you want apparently.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have a pair of Spiuk shoes which are heat mouldable. Put in the oven, heated up then wear for 20 minutes to mould. And they are bloody comfy. They can also be reheated and remoulded.

yello

Wonder if anyone has ever stuck them in a microwave. I mean, it'd be quicker.

Edit: sorry, I forgot the ;)

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
If your spending the amount of money these shoes cost id leave the microwave for the beans ! I wouldnt just bang them in a hot oven either,get a temp guage and do it right

Citius

I was a bit scared to heat mine in case i damaged them... so i didnt.
They were a bit tight around the achilles to start with but after a few rides they felt fine.
So i think i've broken mine in rather than mould them.

Unless your feet are permanently at 160F, this won't have happened.

Top Bottom